Dive Talk Go Rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

God I hate the word "misinformation".

A lot of new info and explanations just released today ahead of the annual DiveTalk meet up.

English is not my mother tongue but I got the feeling this QA is poorly written and it is not going to redress the "misinformation"; it reminded me my trying to decipher an old IANTD material :) Am I right or should I go back to my textbooks?
Of course my remark is stupid but, reading this prose, it makes me a bit uncomfortable regarding the RB they are promoting.
Surprise also to learn that the 2 guys were involved in the set-up of RESA. Really?!!!
Whatever they do and however they do, it is still a good move for the RB industry because to have new players is never bad :)

English is not my mother tongue but I got the feeling this QA is poorly written and it is not going to redress the "misinformation"; it reminded me my trying to decipher an old IANTD material :) Am I right or should I go back to my textbooks?
Of course my remark is stupid but, reading this prose, it makes me a bit uncomfortable regarding the RB they are promoting.
Surprise also to learn that the 2 guys were involved in the set-up of RESA. Really?!!!
Whatever they do and however they do, it is still a good move for the RB industry because new players is never bad :)
They aren't referring to Woody and Gus. They probably should have been clearer. They are talking about Mike Young, Kim Mikusch, Doug Ebersole and others.

RESA - The Rebreather Education & Safety Association

Notice Kiss Rebreathers is on the list of Regular RESA members. Also look at the Executive Committee of RESA. These are all titans of the dive world.

Interesting that it was initially advertised with Oxygen Scientific hud/wrist mount using wireless solid state sensors, but is now all Shearwater.

Interesting that it was initially advertised with Oxygen Scientific hud/wrist mount using wireless solid state sensors, but is now all Shearwater.
I was interested in the Wireless computer as well. Probably went the path of least resistance with the reliability of Shearwater. I am looking forward to trying out the solid state sensors. They have confirmed they are a direct swap for the galvanic sensors with no changes or upgrades. KISS is selling them now and have seen several folks running then in their Spirits and other KISS rigs.

There were several attempts to create recreational rebreathers. They failed mostly because there was no robust market for people willing to go through additional expense and training while limiting themselves to recreational dive profiles. If you obtain proper CC training, you will realize that CC is tech, and you can get into serious issues even if you dive rec profiles - there are no rec versions of 3Hs. You will also realize that buying a typical rebreather is a much better option because it opens more opportunities.

GO will eventually join the obsolete Explorers on eBay.
As a Trained Explorer diver, the reason it failed was not because it was targeted at the recreational market.

It failed because it was a large unwieldy SCR (think if diving a constantly inflating BCD). SCR math is notoriously difficult to get your head around. It did not use a Shearwater controller. The dive computer that was on the Explorer was a proprietary system that kept all the data and control away from the diver. it worked under that fact that divers could dive if the computer gave a green. Great idea but it never worked correctly. If they had made it an SCR with a Shearwater controller/monitor they would have survived. Bulky but still cool looking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom