Dive Talk Go Rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can’t pay bag fee.

Solution? 5000 dollar rebreather.
Do I need the man-size rebreather for easy foreign trips?

We all know that no rebreather is perfect. OK, maybe one :wink: :wink:
So why wouldn't someone opt for a lightweight smaller rebreather for unlimited bottom time, silence, and a bit more depth flexibility?

Just think of the cost of a Pacific island trip in terms of shipping baggage: everything in two 23kg/50lb bags, not an overweight Pelicase, etc.

@Wibble ,

There is nothing wrong with a lightweight rebreather. However, the argument for a lightweight rebreather in addition to a full-sized unit, like stated in the video, falls apart when you do some basic arithmetic.

If you travel with a rebreather once a year, you’ll be paying between $200-400 in extra checked-in luggage fees, depending on the airline, your status, class of service, and so on. You’d have to travel 10-12 years on the same fee schedule to pay off the unit. You also can buy a unit that does not require heavy or extra check-in luggage, if you travel lightly. E.g., a Meg.

If you have multiple yearly dive vacations, you probably have an airline status that allows heavier baggage or enough funds to cover the feeds.

DiveTalk would have made a better case for their rebreather by comparing it to other chest mounted units and focusing on Go’s unique advantages, especially between Go and Choptima—its primary competitor in South Eastern US.

I know this post is very unlikely to change anyone's opinions of the GO mCCR, but after diving it from the prototype stage to the production unit, I would like to weigh in. Personally, I have been diving rebreathers for over twenty years and teaching them for 18 years. I am currently certified on 14 different units and an instructor on eight of those. I only say this as an attempt to show I have been on lots of rebreathers, both eCCR and mCCR, and I fully appreciate that there is no perfect rebreather. If there was, it would be the only one on the market and the others would simply go away.

As has been mentioned above, the GO was designed by Mike Young of KISS and is an mCCR with the same physics as the KISS units, meaning a constant mass flow unit that is "depth limited" to around 300 fsw as the intermediate pressure of the first stage is fixed at about 147 psi (10 ATA). While it can be dived to these depths, it has a smaller scrubber of about 3.5 pounds and it has initially been marketed to the recreational diver who is nitrox certified and wants to get into rebreathers. For those divers there is a CCR Diver certification that limits the diver to 100 feet with no decompression. There is also a CCR Decompression Diver certification to 40 meters with deco for the diver with Advanced Nitrox/Decompression Procedures certification. A 60 meter course is being developed. There are no plans for a 100m deep course as it is felt this is simply not the right tool for that type of diving. The scrubber duration and work of breathing have undergone independent testing and the GO has fared EXTREMELY well. It is the smaller amount of scrubber, not the physics, the design, or the work of breathing that has made Mike Young and Dive Talk feel it should be limited to 60m of depth.

Also, as has been mentioned above, there are a multitude of other chest mount rebreathers out there so what makes this one different? The main difference as I see is its small size and the improved work of breathing by moving the counterlungs from the "front" to the "sides" of the unit. This places the counterlungs very close to the position of your lungs and makes the work of breathing very good. The circular axial scrubber design with its large surface area but relatively thin bed also improves the work of breathing. It is also a very small unit, smaller than the profile of, say, the Choptima and lighter as well. However, it only has 3.5 pounds of scrubber material, and does not take an ExtendAir cartridge. So, if you are traveling to a place with oxgyen but no sorb readily available, taking a Choptima and throwing in a couple of ExtendAir cartridges is probably a better option. In that case, I'd trade the larger size, the increased weight, and the front mounted counterlungs for the convenience of taking my own ExtendAir cartridges. Like I said, no rebreather is perfect. They all have their pros and cons.

All training on the GO is being done through Dive Talk Academy. After consulting with an attorney who is VERY involved in the rebreather industry, Dive Talk decided to only train through their own agency, Dive Talk Academy, so they can better control instructor quality and quality of training. While being initially marketed as a "recreational rebreather", they have NOT shortcut the training. The training standards are directly from RESA (Rebreather Education and Safety Association) recommendations to the other training agencies. Initial training for a CCR No-Decompression Diver on the GO requires the same 60 minutes of confined water training followed by 7 dives and 420 minutes of open water training as with other agencies such as TDI, IANTD, etc. All of the usual rebreather skills and drills are required -- hypoxia, hyperoxia, hypercapnia, boom scenarios, open circuit bailouts, SCR, etc. While it is being initially marketed as a "recreational" rebreather, the training standards are excellent (in my opinion). Combining that with hand-picked instructors and instructor trainers should make for quality training. For transparency, yes, I am one of the three current instructor trainers on the unit, along with Mike Young and Edd Sorensen. We are in the process of selecting and training instructors around the country. There are no plans to spend the money to get CE approval in Europe at the moment.

So, what is the "niche" for this rebreather in my opinion? Personally, I love recreational diving, but prefer some of the benefits of rebreathers (quiet, no bubbles, warm/moist gas, long no-decompression times, etc) over open circuit. With this unit, I can go on a two tank recreational boat charter with an AL63 (or AL80 if that's all they have) of air, set up my kit with my usual BCD and my usual regulator (with one additional LP hose to connect to the rebreather), and just clip on this rebreather. I can do the two one hour dives without changing tanks and only going through a couple of hundred psi of air over the two hours of diving. If the trip is a "double dip", I can do one long dive on the GO. If I am shore diving in Bonaire, I can easily do a single two hour dive with an AL63. If someone has back issues, this CCR can be used easily in a sidemount configuration with a single AL40. The AL40 and the CCR can be handed up to the crew and the diver can simply walk up the boat ladder wearing only a sidemount harness. Granted, I could do the same thing on a Choptima or several other chest mount rebreathers, but the GO is a smaller, lighter, and less expensive option for this type of diving.

Could this unit be used for deeper diving, technical diving, or cave diving? Certainly. However, in my opinion, there are better tools for that type of diving. So, if you are looking to do deep technical dives or cave diving, there are better choices for you than the GO. Personally, for cave diving I prefer my Sidewinder and for deep ocean diving, I like my Spirit or my Choptima. However, if what you are interested in is diving to recreational limits but with the benefits of rebreathers mentioned above in a very small lightweight versatile package, you should consider the GO.

Just my 2 cents.

Also, as has been mentioned above, there are a multitude of other chest mount rebreathers out there so what makes this one different? The main difference as I see is its small size and the improved work of breathing by moving the counterlungs from the "front" to the "sides" of the unit. This places the counterlungs very close to the position of your lungs and makes the work of breathing very good. The circular axial scrubber design with its large surface area but relatively thin bed also improves the work of breathing. It is also a very small unit, smaller than the profile of, say, the Choptima and lighter as well.
Thank you, this is good info.

Not to nitpick on DT marketing, but most of us ask "what is in it for me and why do I care?" Your post, @Dr. Doug Ebersole, answered some of these questions.

Only works if you are diving solo or have a group of friend who dive CC

Otherwise you are just stuck to the regular ~50 minute dives as nobody on the boat is going to wait for 1 guy who dives CC on a recreational OC trip and wants to spend more time underwater. And if you cant spend more time in the water, it makes CC completely meaningless given how much time you have to spend to prepare it before the dive and then clean after the dive vs OC

you have a really good point !

I'd like to have a unit that would work in a SCR mode to allow for nitrox instead of pure O2 -- which may be difficult to source in "recreational" locations.
I assume it would be considered off label use but, get a GEM mouthpiece, it should swap with the one on the GO. I have a CM that does both CCR and SCR this way.

I assume it would be considered off label use but, get a GEM mouthpiece, it should swap with the one on the GO. I have a CM that does both CCR and SCR this way.
Interesting. Do you have more info?

Only found this:

The video is clearly aimed at people not familiar with rebreathers. It clearly shows the unit. All the pros given about it are the ones given for any CM unit I know of. I must say I'm rather doubtful about the counter lungs just staying in the open, exposed to any kind of misfortune. That's a first (if we except rigs from the distant past) and I'm not sure it's so good an idea, especially on a rough sea.
Exactly how more open than shoulder mounted lungs are they?

Exactly how more open than shoulder mounted lungs are they?

Sorry, I honestly fail to understand your question, I"m not trying to troll or anything. Can you explain your point, plesase ?

Sorry, I honestly fail to understand your question, I"m not trying to troll or anything. Can you explain your point, plesase ?

Shoulder mounted are on your chest and shoulders. If exposure was a problem you wouldn't see that on series expedition grade CCRs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom