Dive Talk Go Rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shoulder mounted are on your chest and shoulders. If exposure was a problem you wouldn't see that on series expedition grade CCRs.
Ok, I see, but my understanding for such CCRs, like an AP Inspiration for example, is this : counter lungs are protected by some kind of material like cloth.

On my chestmount Triton, counter lungs are located inside a bag. On the DiveTalk Go, they are, are naked, so to speak, and I find it puzzling.

On the GO, the couterlungs are along the side of the rebreather so they are between the rebreather and your armpits. Again, this is not designed for small tight cave diving. It is designed for open ocean recreational diving. For that type of diving, the counterlung position allows for great work of breathing and a "thinner" profile on your chest. The "exposure" is not a risk for rips, tears, etc -- again, because of the environment it is designed for.

Assume the external lungs aren’t interfered with by stage cylinders nor sidemount bungees?

I have questions...

How likely is it one of those counterlungs pops off on accident?
That o2 mav looks exposed and likely to get hit accidentally.
Does the gas path through the scrubber actually flow evenly enough to use all of the sorb?
Hard connections on the upper clips ?
How well will a long hose wrap under the bottle? Is it not meant for a long hose?
Could it trap the long hose under the dil hose? Hope that's part of the training.
Dil hose from the right? Don't most first stages have 2 lp ports on the right side?
Water traps? How well does it dewater?

Question for rebreather divers. How long does it take to set up a RB like this for a dive and then to do whatever cleaning and maintenance tasks are required after a day of diving?

I'd love to dive without bubbles and it would be pretty cool to take a class from Edd Sorenson. But I'm trying to wrap my head around the practicality of using a RB for the typical recreational vacation diving schedule.

Not that long, but it depends on the type of diving you’re doing. Recreational depths on air diluent is pretty simple. Deeper dives on trimix need more care changing the scrubber and faffing with gasses. This could be an hour or more.

If you’ve enough gas for the next dive and if the scrubber has enough time left for the next day/dive, then it’s probably minimal almost just clean the loop of drool, just a few minutes prep.

As an Olympic class faffer I’ll spend an hour or two preparing for the next day’s dive if it’s deep or long. Will rinse the loop every day, change a scrubber, let the box dry out inside, ensure all batteries are charged (Nerd, torch, heater battery). I’ll then do a full close process and check negative, positive and all other steps.

Others may be faster than me, but they’re not responsible for me. I am and am happy to lavish time and love on the unit in the vague hope that it won’t kill me!

All part of the day’s diving.

@lowwall

As @Wibble said, the more meticulous you are the more confidence you have in the unit. That, said the KISS units are already simple and easy and the GO looks even easier. I would say 20 minutes on top of your normal setup time. About the same to break it apart rinse it and lay it out to dry for the next day.

The thing to know about an RB is you end up doing things differently. On OC I would show up at the dive site with all my gear still in storage boxes all setup and analysis was done on site/boat. With the RB all that is done before I leave the house. The gear is pretty much ready to put on and dive when I get there.

Back
Top Bottom