Dive reports with beach/weather conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan,

Had a good time; 2.5 meg, couple hemis, bison bone, etc. Manasota is always a mixed bag with differing bottom topography.

Shawn

Sat 11/19
water temp 68
seas 1-2 ft at most East winds in morning afternoon turned SE
Vis 6-8 ft not bad at all
High tide in the morning
Looked really clear in top water colum
As usual nice megs found one big lower Mako Biggest one I have seen found
Alot of silt gone from previous months
good weekend to get out before next front gets here Wednesday

11/20/11
Service Club
9 am
Winds E <5
Seas Flat
Water Temp 71
Vis 0-4' avg 2'
Finds couple small meg frags, a nice small hemi and the usual small stuff

saw a lot of rays laying in the sandy areas

11/22/2011
Service Club
8:30 am
Wind E<5
Seas Flat
Water Temp 71
Vis a hazy 1'-3'
Finds just some small stuff
still some rays around not as many as Sunday

11/23/2011
9:30 am
Wind SSW 5-10
Seas 1-2'
Water Temp 72 surface 69 0n the bottom
Vis: 3-4' in some spots but 6-10' in others...:wink:
Finds: Everyone Found Megs.. Mostly 2-3"ers.. and alot of small stuff too..
Had a heavy rain around 2:30pm.
"If your gunna go out try and hit the peek of high tide for the best VIZ..."

11/25/2011
Service Club
8:45 am
Wind NE 5
Seas <1'
Water Temp 71
Max Depth 23'
Vis 1'-6'
Finds nice 2 3/8" meg & several pieces, 2 ear bones, a big puffer plate and the usual small stuff

Ok, I am still waiting to hear if Rick has the Vulcan Cloaking System... I didn't see him today, so I am wondering.... Until then...

Viz was better than I thought it would be (this time of year)...

9:30am... Started Alhambra (kayak, probably .6 miles out). Viz was 2-4...
11:20 am... By second dive (I take 2 tanks on yak)... Golden Beach area (out straight from small white condo). viz was 3-7. But wind was WICKED around 12. Blew me and the yak so far out I debated going to cuba and flying back. Found some partial megs and a HUGE whale ear.
2:00 pm... For shore divers ended up in blocks (third dive)... IF you hit the blocks, the viz is 2-4. But outside blocks was 0-2 (if that). One word of caution for "the Blocks"... watch your rope/flag when in there.... beautiful life is forming on there and Bouyance CONTROL is key for both the life on the Blocks and YOUR life. Be careful.

As to finds... Blocks producing decent small stuff. Alhambra was relatively dry (no pun intended).... some fossils around but no megs (lots of whale... ear, bone and horse (tooth)... think I picked up so much whale I could build one!)) Golden Beach area was good but wind kept me off the spots I normally hit... broken partials... about 5 in all.

Happy hunting to all... As to the charter posts/self promoting... MY VIEW....It helps... Viz is really all over the place (50 ft can make a HUGE difference). IF and please for me and others IF they are willing, maybe Charters would give just one of three: Manasota Key Area. Pier Area. Alhambra Area. (it is general enough that positions will not be given away), but helpful enough that divers can judge where they are comfortable diving and can use one of the following). Besides, IN MY VIEW, the forum is also about discovery. Every charter I have seen post contributes something (some more than others). Take what you (I) will from them and "enjoy the ride" to discovery.... Keep it up Charters (all) and divers....

Rick, It would be helpful if you included where you were diving (Alhambra, Service club, Brohard, Boneyard) and water depth. Viz has been VERY variable depending on location and depth. Claiming 6-8 foot viz without location and depth can be very misleading to someone planning a beach dive.

Keeping with the thread rule to limit post to dive reports, I'll move this conversation to the chat thread.

11/26/2011
"Boneyard" North of Sharkies Pier
12 noon -5:00 pm
Winds E10-15kts. Shifting to S10-15kts.
Seas 1-2'
Water Temp 72 on surface 69 on the bottom
Vis 5-10' around 12:00-2:30 then 4-8' around 2:30-5:00
Depths around noon 18-22' then 22'-26' around 2:30 -5:00
Finds: a few very nice posterior megs 2-3" and a few nice makos 1-2"..

12/4/2011
Service Club
8:45 am
Seas <1'
Wind ESE 5
Water Temp 66
Vis 3'-4'
Max Depth 22'
Finds 1/2 4" meg, ear bone and the usual small stuff
Time to get the 7mm suit out

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/