Dive reports with beach/weather conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did S.Brohard. Entered around 9:00 am. East winds, incoming tide, water temp 84 & viz, depending where you were, could drop as low as 1ft to a max of about 5ft. Max depth 17ft. The bottom has definitely been stirred up & there is a bit of particulate matter floating.

Completely agree with Kramer... (where were u...? would like to meet you/trade spots!)....

Did 3 dives ranging from Golden Beach (Service Club area) to Alhambra.... In effort to find things moved like 5 times (inshore... diveable by no boat/kayak and out where boats go... on kayak). 100 ft shift in location could mean difference between 1 ft and 6ft (on kayak or in shore). When tide came in things were better closer to shore/Alhambra area.

Swells... generally min./1ft or less. Wind (nothing major to report). When sun was out viz was better (so judge dives by weather/cloud cover).

Snot was more prevalent at Golden beach/Service Club (but finds were better). Will post pictures tomorrow.

07-04-11 Alhambra and Service Club

Viz was a bit better today then yesterday but not by a lot. I would say around 4 ft
on average, enough for fossil hunting. The sea and topside conditions were very nice
most of the day. A storm was beginning to move in by mid to late afternoon as I was
finishing my second dive. There was an afternoon high tide so I was diving the incoming
tide on my first dive and high tide on my second.

Dive 1: 21 feet 82 minutes 87 degrees
Dive 2: 19 feet 86 minutes 87 degrees

Tue - Thur Viz was around 10' but the rain finally caught up w/ us and definitely affected our viz conditions by Fri - Mon. Still,.. when the sun was out there was a good 4-6' most of the weekend threw the Holiday. Had some amazing finds over the weekend Pics on pic page.
:wink:

07-06-11 Alhambra and Service Club

Viz still down a bit at both locations. Found an area at alhambra in about 17-18 ft depth with viz at
3-4 feet but when going deeper the viz actually dropped off to less than 2 ft at 19-20 ft depth.
Service club viz was maybe in the 2-3 ft range, enough for fossiling but not great.

Dive 1: 20 feet 90 minutes 86 degrees
Dive 2: 20 feet 60 minutes 86 degrees

had a customer call me today who drove down from st pete said he tried beach this morning and had "0" viz...
Not exactly a dive report! I'll move it to an appropriate thread.

I came to Venice the 9th and 10th as a b-day gift to myself to try tooth hunting for the first time. I ended up dragging my reg in the sand just to see the bottom. I couldn't read my gauges past 3-4inches. Went out of Service Club to 20'.

Did 2 tanks today 7/16, out of Service Club.

Max Depth - 20 ft.
Water Temp - 87 degrees
Viz. - Junk! Actually had up to 3 feet for a few seconds in some places on the 2nd dive, but that was quickly washed away by a slight surge. Mostly inches to a foot or 2.
Finds - Lots of great, in tact smaller teeth. In fact, I have done this dive countless times and have always found "just the smaller stuff". Anyone want to share some tips on how/where to maybe find something a bit larger, let me know.

Thanks, and happy (tooth) hunting...

Date 7/17/11
Location Service Club
Time 8:45 am
Seas flat
Winds E<5
Water Temp 88
Max depth 26'
Vis <1' -4' depending on bottom comp.
Finds 1 nice 3.5" meg, some meg frags, a nice 2 1/4" mako, 2 ear bones and the usual small stuff

07-17-11 Alhambra

Did two at Alhambra on incoming and high tide. Viz seemed pretty consistent at 3-4 feet
with it dropping off a bit while finishing second dive. The seas were quite flat kicking out
on first dive but winds picked up a bit by mid afternoon and seas were up just a bit. Found
fossil bone of some type, good size with a bit of curvature making me think possible rib bone
of some sort. Both dives were very acceptable viz for fossiling.

Dive 1: 23 feet 84 minutes 87 degrees
Dive 2: 21 feet 83 minutes 87 degrees

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom