Dive Propulsion Vehicle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rapiddiver, not alleged speed but actual thrust ratings please. The only thrust rating I ever found and now that I want the chart I cannot find it shows the most powerful SeaDoo at 15 to 18 pounds of thrust. Those speed ratings are higkly optimistic for a SeaDoo pulling a scuba diver--wildly so--with only 18 pounds of thrust. That Explorer does look interesting thus my interest in it's thrust rating.

Jurrasic diver:
"The Tecna and Dacor scooters never had a good rateing. Most divers who want a ride on top scooter at a cheaper price would be better off choosing the Mako as it was built a little better but not by much in comparison. You just can't beat a higher priced and re engineered teck scooter like the Gavin, Silent immersion, or Farallons."

The Mako is the same internally as the Tekna but with the addition of a split design with clamps. Depth limitations with the avaialble HD bulkheads is sufficient for most diving. Since the Gavins and other similar high dollar scooters use the same basic motor, propeller and shroud the lineage is evident. Neither the Mako or the Tekna are ride on top designs, they are tow behinds. I agree though, for serious and deep work nothing beats the high dollar tube scooters. N

N, I can't find a solid number but I asked an expert (so happens to be my brother) who builds and has driven just about every DPV out there and he thinks it's at about 25 pounds

"N, I can't find a solid number but I asked an expert (so happens to be my brother) who builds and has driven just about every DPV out there and he thinks it's at about 25 pounds"

Hmm, thanks, well, 25 pounds is not to bad. Tht is enough to move a diver along unless they are heavy and twin tanks and dry suit and all that but for a regular scuba diver that might do just fine. I assume you mean the new Explorer. Thanks for the info. N

rapidiver:
N, I can't find a solid number but I asked an expert (so happens to be my brother) who builds and has driven just about every DPV out there and he thinks it's at about 25 pounds

Do you sell them too? I haven't bought a new scuba toy in about a month. :D

Jetboots! (jetboots.com) The DP without the V. Check out the video on the www site..

I would love to have a set of these babies... these should come standard with a Superman cape.

Oh.. and they put out up to 50 pounds of thrust...not bad for something that weighs 22 pounds...

D.

The classic (yellow), is not very good for diving in California conditions, at least. (In fairness, I'm 6'3", 215 lbs.) I tried one on a dive, it really was not strong enough to pull me. All it did was make kicking a little easier, and stretched my arms an inch or two. If I were tropic diving, (or a smaller person), it might be ok. The big daddy sea-doo looks interesting, though.

PhotoTJ:
The classic (yellow), is not very good for diving in California conditions, at least. (In fairness, I'm 6'3", 215 lbs.) I tried one on a dive, it really was not strong enough to pull me. All it did was make kicking a little easier, and stretched my arms an inch or two. If I were tropic diving, (or a smaller person), it might be ok. The big daddy sea-doo looks interesting, though.

Yeah, I know folks who use the Classic for diving but I always recommend the GTI, VS Supercharged or of course the Explorer

Daylonious:
Jetboots! (jetboots.com) The DP without the V. Check out the video on the www site..

I would love to have a set of these babies... these should come standard with a Superman cape.

Oh.. and they put out up to 50 pounds of thrust...not bad for something that weighs 22 pounds...

D.

A lot of buzz at DEMA about those. Thought it was totally wacky at first (I mean c'mon-"jet boots") but apparently there pretty awesome. I love it when crazy ideas work!

How about pairing up a DPV with Jet Boots? Hmmm...

rapidiver:
A lot of buzz at DEMA about those. Thought it was totally wacky at first (I mean c'mon-"jet boots") but apparently there pretty awesome. I love it when crazy ideas work!

How about pairing up a DPV with Jet Boots? Hmmm...

The video is pretty compelling... looks like a blast!

D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom