Dive Propulsion Vehicle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jurrasicdiver:
I dive the Arrow a modefied version of the Farallon Mk 7 and 8. with a new motor, drive shaft and circuit board design. This is an awsome 5 speed scooter and the only one when in top speed requires skill to hold onto. Farallons is a very realiable sled that will provide you will many years of trouble free ride. The Sea do sccoters are nothing more than toys with a weak motor and shaft seal these are not meant to be used as a teck tool but rather a around the dock toy and if you ever see one in a cave give the guy a slap.

Jurrasicdiver:
I dive the Arrow a modefied version of the Farallon Mk 7 and 8. with a new motor, drive shaft and circuit board design. This is an awsome 5 speed scooter and the only one when in top speed requires skill to hold onto. Farallons is a very realiable sled that will provide you will many years of trouble free ride. The Sea do sccoters are nothing more than toys with a weak motor and shaft seal these are not meant to be used as a teck tool but rather a around the dock toy and if you ever see one in a cave give the guy a slap.

I've been buzzing around Cape Cod Bay on a SEA DOO GTI all summer long and it's a been a blast flying lobster recon along the jetties.

By lumping all the seascooters together, SEA DOO's marketing tends to leave folks rather confused wondering which are toys and which are serious DPVs. We sell the SEA DOO line and I'll try to explain the differences:

The SEA DOO Aqaunaut and Dophin are basically kids toys (fun kids toys!) the SEA DOO Seascooter Classic (yellow) is cool for snorkeling but it wouldn't be my choice for diving, the GTI and VS Supercharged are designed for diving and the new EXPLORER is the big daddy rated to 160ft.

Hope this helps

Could you pleaee provide the thrust ratings of Sea Doo scooters please, especially the new "big daddy". N

ScubaFrog01:
The more i hear about DPVs the more I want to try one out. As anyone here tried them? If so what did you think? MY FEAR is that i would enjoy it to much and want to end up getting one of my own. (Man would my wife be upset) I know Sea-Doo puts one out but from what i can tell it looks like a kids toy. What other brands are out there?:jaws:

Divers who are serious about quality DPV'S often choose vehicles such as
www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/UWVehicles/AV2_Scooter.htm

These well proven DPV's have been in use for many years. The superior motor and the proven design often make the Apollo AV series the choice of many high use resorts etc.

Here are two comparison pics of a "big daddy" motor and a direct drive Tekna motor. The big daddy motor is about one inch diameter and a couple of inches long and produces an anemic 15 pounds of thrust via some sort of gear reduction, note the huge differnce in size of the massive direct drive 24V motor that produces up to 75 pounds of thrust. Who is your big daddy now? N

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/JRWJR/DSCF0160.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/JRWJR/43_0.jpg

The Tecna and Dacor scooters never had a good rateing. Most divers who want a ride on top scooter at a cheaper price would be better off choosing the Mako as it was built a little better but not by much in comparison. You just can't beat a higher priced and re engineered teck scooter like the Gavin, Silent immersion, or Farallons.

Nemrod:
Could you pleaee provide the thrust ratings of Sea Doo scooters please, especially the new "big daddy". N

SEA-DOO® SEASCOOTER™ GTI: delivers thrust for a speed of up to 2.5mph/4km/h, down to 100ft./30m depth (Tested to 115ft) weight 18lb

SEA-DOO® SEASCOOTER™ VS SUPERCHARGED: delivers thrust for a speed of up to 3mph/4.8km/h, down to 100ft./30m depth (Tested to 115ft) weight 18lb

SEA-DOO® SEASCOOTER™ EXPLORER delivers thrust for a speed of up to 3.3mph down to 160ft. Weight 32lb

Here's more info, pictures, pricing etc.:SEA-DOO SEASCOOTERS

Over current protection and High temperature protection built into this scooters features are signs of a weak and high amp hot running motor design. The type of shaft and shaft seal and flexable plastic shell make it weak as well. I'll give you an A for promotion but over all these Sea doo toys in no way compare to the Gavins, Silent immersions or Farallon DPV's.

Jurrasicdiver:
Over current protection and High temperature protection built into this scooters features are signs of a weak and high amp hot running motor design. The type of shaft and shaft seal and flexable plastic shell make it weak as well. I'll give you an A for promotion but over all these Sea doo toys in no way compare to the Gavins, Silent immersions or Farallon DPV's.

Especially on price!

You didn't see me trashing other brands of DPVs and am I to assume you've owned all the DPVs mentioned and offer a qualified opinion or are you a ScubaBoard Virtual Expert:wink: ? If you're legit you've spent over $10000 on DPVs

If you're ever on Cape Cod give me a hollar and I'll take you for a spin-then you'll have actual first hand experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom