Sharing dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divers concerned about weight while traveling are usually concerned about airlines limits on luggage, not about their capacity to carry them.
There are ways to deal with those limitations and still bring essential dive gear. Including loading up on carry-on items or paying for an additional piece of luggage.

As a practical matter, for recreational type diving, the computer doesn't care much at all about prior dives that were 18 hours ago. However, using a computer in this manner (every other day) will inject some small degree of conservatism in the displayed results.

I think I would bring another computer however. What if one diver violates the computer (for some reason) - it might lock up for a day and then the next diver scheduled to use the computer has an issue and might not have access to a working computer.

As a practical matter, for recreational type diving, the computer doesn't care much at all
On a personal note, I prefer my gear to be compassionate, considers my feelings and accepts me for who I am. I refuse to dive with a computer that doesn't care.

While the overall plan seems nuts (all that hiking stuff) and may I offer perhaps a simpler idea, leave the Suunto and pod at home and bring the AL 330 and the SPG and pick up a second simple wrist type computer.

The computer will “offgas” overnight so there should be no problem, worst case one of you might see mildly shorter no-stop time. Just don’t share it on the same day, that would actually be dangerous.

Try it yourself. Plan few dives, stick in 12 hours surface interval and see that it doesn’t really impact your no-stop time at all, not at these depths.

Same situation when you rent a computer from a dive shop - someone might have used it the day before, doesn’t matter.

If I were you, I would take an SPG too (get one without the funny console and clip it to a D-ring) and the second computer, in case that something breaks. Or at least the second computer as you could rent an SPG.
i dont know for you but when i go dive in belize and honduras i could dive up to 3 even 4 dive a day believe me for a period of 10 consecutive days my mares m1 is taking the hit.

If the original plan was to bring both your EON Core and the I330R, one possibility might be for both of you to use both computers on your alternating days. Put the EON in gauge mode so that you maintain the convenience of AI without the risk of its more conservative (especially with repetitive dives over multiple days) RGBM-based algorithm indicating shorter NDL times, and use the I330R with its Buhlmann implementation for the NDL calculations

my mares m1 is taking the hit.
You really should not compare your Mares to his Suunto. His computer has a conservative, proprietary algorithm that penalizes you for yo-yo profiles, short surface intervals, fast ascents, and using Nitrox, plus maybe other things. Her computer does none of those things, and is fairly aggressive. It would be easy to keep her computer happy and within NDLs but bend his.

You really should not compare your Mares to his Suunto. His computer has a conservative, proprietary algorithm that penalizes you for yo-yo profiles, short surface intervals, fast ascents, and using Nitrox, plus maybe other things. Her computer does none of those things, and is fairly aggressive. It would be easy to keep her computer happy and within NDLs but bend his.
i understand that my comment was more in regard to dive likemuppet.

Be safe

Your computers are running different algorithm's and the Suunto will be the one that penalizes you the most on consecutive dives and will lock out if you don't keep it happy. If you choose do this, both of you dive both computers and follow the Suunto.

i dont know for you but when i go dive in belize and honduras i could dive up to 3 even 4 dive a day believe me for a period of 10 consecutive days my mares m1 is taking the hit.
Same with my Garmin Mk2i. It takes a beathing in Roatan. I had a Sunnto and absolutely hated it. My first trip to Roatan, it quit at 75 ft because it wanted me to switch gases. I'm using air, asshat! Why would I switch? Luckily for my wife and I, we had brought our clunky, chunky Scubapro Lunas. At least, they considered our feelings.

Back
Top Bottom