dive planning @ 300' cont.from D&T

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chad

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Okay since the poor guy who asked a question about depth and time got his thread highjacked, heres the place to continue...

So I pose this question to the masses..

Your at sealevel, your dive plan is 300' for 10 min. Your back gas consists of two 80's with 12/58, you have one 80 with NX32, and another with NX80 all tanks are AL 80's topped off to 3000psi. Your diving with 5 buddies off a boat that has O2 that hang @ 20' you have a slate and lift bags. Your SAC is .4. Are you gonna do the dive?

care to explain?

Let me take a stab at it. He's at sea level, and he's in a boat. Well, if this is at Lake Mead, the dive would be a pretty low priority for him, since he's instead wondering how the hell the boat ended up 500+ft below the bottom of the lake. :D

Let me take a stab at it. He's at sea level, and he's in a boat. Well, if this is at Lake Mead, the dive would be a pretty low priority for him, since he's instead wondering how the hell the boat ended up 500+ft below the bottom of the lake. :D

I guess I missed something:confused:

Okay since the poor guy who asked a question about depth and time got his thread highjacked, heres the place to continue...

So I pose this question to the masses..

Your at sealevel, your dive plan is 300' for 10 min. Your back gas consists of two 80's with 12/58, you have one 80 with NX32, and another with NX80 all tanks are AL 80's topped off to 3000psi. Your diving with 5 buddies off a boat that has O2 that hang @ 20' you have a slate and lift bags. Your SAC is .4. Are you gonna do the dive?

No way in hell.

Doubles 80s for a 300ft dive. And your first deco gas is 32%. And then 80%. Blech. Something like V-planner would allow you about 7mins on the bottom. More blech.

Blech blech. About the only thing reasonable about this dive is the 12/58, although I'm not sure where such a precise number like 58% He came from.

Are you gonna do the dive?

Nope.

Do you have a reason for picking these numbers, or are they just random figures plucked out of the air?

Yeah the 12/58 is what the gas analized at, the resort only has AL 80's, the NX32 is banked and they can only boost enough to make NX80.

Not enough BG, especially if you loose all deco gases (except 100% as that is surface supplied).

Why 80% if you have 100% at hand? The difference is marginal, not worth the effort to include and carry a bottle of 80%. You could carry the 80% to make up for loss of the 32% though.

Deco on 32% as a first is not ideal. You could use 32% as a travel gas to MOD to save a few cft of BG. Difference is marginal though.

You could view the buddy's bottles as contingencies. Again, purely looking at sharing deco gas, you may get by. But there is not enough BG to begin with, let alone to account for the additional time needed.

I think if all goes well, you may scrape by on this dive, but if you have any sort of issue......

The short of it.... No I would not do this dive.

Now, bring a couple of bottom stages and we may be in business.

Anyone wanna run it in V-planner and see if it works, and post it?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom