Private Boat - Emergency O2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NW Dive Dawg

SDI / TDS Solo Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hey Folks..... I wanted to post this in the Tech forum because I think all you Tech types will give me the best advice….. and also any proper scolding if needed!

So before I get to my point, since this is my thread….please let me provide a little history and overall philosophy. I'm just an old hippie boomer retired instructor who dives primarily solo with a 120 HP and a back mounted 19 pony up here in the PAC Northwest, BC, Neah Bay, etc. . And by solo.... I mean that my very selective pals and I agree that our plan if we get separated while hunting is that we focus on getting our limits and then meet back at the boat in about an hour from our descent time. I have a 24ft boat (Hewescraft Ocean Pro) and have it totally set up for diving, fishing, crabbing, prawning, etc. Yes…. I am a Carnivore and love fresh seafood! I am selective and merciful and prefer the hunt over paying Costco to murder my seafood for me. As I get a bit older (push’n 70) I want to add a bit of safety to my boat.

And so all of you younger,. side sling’n, wipper-snapper techies, millennials and gen X type vegetarians .... please go easy on me….. Now to the point.

I’m planning to add a dedicated 63 or 80 AL to my boat that will be filled with 100% O2 and crystal clearly marked as such. I have a brand new in the box Mares 22 Abyss won in an auction that has 2 HP and Four LP ports. My plan is to have this rig onboard along with two 2nd stages to hang off the boat on a drop line at 20ft. The 2nd stages will be Zeagle F8’s that have diver adjustable venturi free flow controls and will be detuned when on the hang to help avoid losing all the o2.. The rig will have some weight added for any buoyancy issues. It’ll also have an analog SPG on a short (maybe 6 in) hose on one of the HP ports since I hate those little button gauges and can’t read-m and don’t trust-em anyway..

The intent of this is ONLY for added emergency safety and it’s NOT intended to EVER be used as a part of planned deco or any type of gas management plan. My buddy and I have somehow managed to live through our years of cowboy deco diving days and so now we stay no-deco on 32 mix and have a general rule to stay inside double digits of depth so as not to screw with any potential MOD issues. I should add that we all dive with back mounted ponys and that they also are NEVER part of ANY gas management plan… Emergency use only. I also like the idea of having the O2 onboard just as an added option…in case of a hit whether it’s deserved or not.

So the questions:

1) Tell me the good, bad and ugly with this overall plan. (I’m old but can still take a punch)

2) Is the brand new Mares 22 (both 1st and 2nd and hose) good to go for 100% or do I need to have it O2 cleaned?

3) What needs to be done to 2nd stages and hoses to make them good to go for 100%?

4) What needs to be done to the short hose SPG for 100% o2

5) Am I overthinking all of this and really just need clean equipment and then slowly pressurize?

6) Anything else?

PS….. I know that I can sign up for a tech class that will answer all of these and any other questions…..but just wanted to start the conversation here.

Thanks folks!

I think a better solution is to buy a 30 ft lp hose, slap a in line cut off valve on the end of it, and then place an old second stage after that. You can probably zip tie a 3 lb weight 2 feet from the end of the hose.

This allows you to keep the oxygen tank on the boat and you might want to zip tie a loop to the end of the hose near the first stage to use as a means to secure the hose to the gunwale (or transom) is smoother when it is rough. Placement of this tie down loop, in conjunction with your freeboard will allow you to ensure the second stage will be at 20 feet and no deeper, when you cleat the hose connection off.

You could run a separate rope, and hang the weight from that, affix the hose to the rope such that they are one unit so the tension from the weight is born by the rope rather than the hose. In practice, we never had undo wear issues with just a decent hose.

Way easier to retrieve, and a lot more pleasant when hanging. If it is rough, trying to hang with a heavy bottle slaming around up and down in the water column can become a hazard - especially if you tie off on the gunwale and get into side slop..

The first stage should be oxygen clean, and a button gage on the first stage works well.

IMHO - Why are you messing with the idea if IWR? You are either doing DECO on a proper schedule and equipment, or getting the heck back to the shore with 100% administered to the victim and getting them to medical assistance. Get a 100% bottle (assuming you have an understanding to administer), get a DAN kit, and get an adapter to use a DIN scuba tank with the DAN kit. The right tools for the task.

Curious what others will say, so watching to continue to learn...

He's an old guy. He has the resources. It will cost a few hundred dollars. It is really great insurance when you are coming come up, know you "pushed it" and then have the option of hanging on the oxygen for a couple of minutes of your safety stop.

Anecdotal evidence is that you feel better and it is a freaking, miracle cure for a co2 headache... but it works pretty well on the surface to. It makes doing 3-5 dives in one day - that are close to (or over) the no deco limit - a little less stupid.

If you want to treat a bend, you can do it on the deck or at 20 feet, This gives you the option for either and it cost $20 to fill the bottle before then next trip.

You list yourself as an instructor (retired). Expand your understanding/credentials.....

Are you technically trained? Seems not, so you are "guessing" what you should do regarding doing accelerated DECO.

Are you trained in Oxygen Administration for emergency?

It seems to me it wouldn't be a question you are asking if either/both of those questions are answered in the positive...

IMHO - Why are you messing with the idea if IWR? You are either doing DECO on a proper schedule and equipment, or getting the heck back to the shore with 100% administered to the victim and getting them to medical assistance. Get a 100% bottle (assuming you have an understanding to administer), get a DAN kit, and get an adapter to use a DIN scuba tank with the DAN kit. The right tools for the task.

Curious what others will say, so watching to continue to learn...

You list yourself as an instructor (retired). Expand your understanding/credentials.....

Are you technically trained? Seems not, so you are "guessing" what you should do regarding doing accelerated DECO.

Are you trained in Oxygen Administration for emergency?

It seems to me it wouldn't be a question you are asking if either/both of those questions are answered in the positive...
You seem to be assuming he needs to deco on the hanging O2, or worse, that he has DCS and needs O2 and maybe recompression. I did not read his OP that way. Maybe the former, but not the latter. Agreed, he is unclear about what he means by "emergency," but there is a large gray area between wanting a bit of O2 during a safety stop, and IWR. I hope he carries O2 on the boat anyway, with proper delivery devices and training.

I get it, you want the gas to be there if you’re running low/overstay your BT and want it to be an efficient gas for off gassing purposes.

*I* wouldn’t do it, not my style and not my philosophy. To me, risk seems not that crazy (20mins or so on O2 at 20ft or shallower isn’t really problematic). A 20’ hose eliminates the chance of breathing it deeper than 20’.

BUT I can totally foresee this evolving into “we have extra gas at 20’ let’s overstay our (gas time depth) limits. That’s no bueno. You can’t rely on something that’s not with you, especially not in the ocean.

I think it would be worthwhile to take advanced nitrox (can’t believe I’m saying this) o you’re fully educated on the gas and can make a complete decision outside of what some bozos on SB tell you.

Am bozo.

I think it would be worthwhile to take advanced nitrox (can’t believe I’m saying this) o you’re fully educated on the gas and can make a complete decision outside of what some bozos on SB tell you.
Agree completely.

You seem to be assuming he needs to deco on the hanging O2, or worse, that he has DCS and needs O2 and maybe recompression. I did not read his OP that way. Maybe the former, but not the latter. Agreed, he is unclear about what he means by "emergency," but there is a large gray area between wanting a bit of O2 during a safety stop, and IWR. I hope he carries O2 on the boat anyway, with proper delivery devices and training.
It is a slippery slope...

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom