Private Boat - Emergency O2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think a better solution is to buy a 30 ft lp hose, slap a in line cut off valve on the end of it, and then place an old second stage after that. You can probably zip tie a 3 lb weight 2 feet from the end of the hose.

This allows you to keep the oxygen tank on the boat and you might want to zip tie a loop to the end of the hose near the first stage to use as a means to secure the hose to the gunway (or transom) is smoother when it is rough. Placement of this tie down loop, in conjunction with your freeboard will allow you to ensure the second stage will be at 20 feet and no deeper, when you cleat the hose connection off.

You could run a separate rope, and hang the weight from that, affix the hose to the rope such that they are one unit so the tension from the weight is born by the rope rather than the hose. In practice, we never had undo wear issues with just a decent hose.

Way easier to retrieve, and a lot more pleasant when hanging. If it is rough, trying to hang with a heavy bottle slaming around up and down in the water column can become a hazard - especially if you tie off on the gunwale and get into side slop..

The first stage should be oxygen clean, and a button gage on the first stage works well.
Thanks for this suggestion John and for your 2nd post. That makes total sense and is the exact type of constructive criticism / answer that I was hoping to receive. I sincerely appreciate it.. Having a head banger under the boat was a bad idea..

RHWESTFALL......As to defending my credentials or experience, I won't get into a pissing contest or bore this group with my full resume. I was a recreational OW Instructor in the 90's and early 2000's. I was never officially trained or certified in what you or others consider "technical" diving....other than my general understanding of decompression and the ability to explain it to students. I never involved my students in any of my personal diving "habits" or profiles. When I was teaching, the shop did provide us a DAN O2 Kit and we did have training to administer it but never needed to. That was more than 15 years ago so I would have to say in good faith that even though it is not rocket science to administer O2, that I am not currently a "certified" O2 provider. But if you were on my deck showing any possibility of DCS than I would do my best with what I had available. I also am no longer a "certified" CPR provider but if you were unconscious and not breathing, I would do my best for you as I believe most would.

My only only reason for even considering this option was/is to have an added in water option in case of an unexpected / unplanned emergency or "concern" scenario.

My thinking be it wrong or right, is that if I am going to have an in water option at 20ft, be it for an unplanned decompression concern or even a poor gas management or equipment failure issue..... why not have it be O2 as long as the available option is at 20 ft. I don't carry a back up computer and if my computer failed for some reason, then I just might decide to spend 10 minutes at 20ft on O2. I also was just feeling that having an additional 63 or 80cf of O2 onboard, along with a means of delivering it.... that it seemed like a decent bonus or option to have it available. This was never intended to be a part of any designed plan but just a contingency.

Next thing you'll tell me is that it's a bad idea to use a full Nitrox tank to get a wet driftwood fire going on a beautiful remote and isolated BC beach..... but I'll tell you....it works great!

Lastly, I respect and can appreciate all that you "certified" tech folks do... and that why I posted this here. Thanks again for any comments or constructive criticism.

Cheers..

He's an old guy. He has the resources. It will cost a few hundred dollars. It is really great insurance when you are coming come up, know you "pushed it" and then have the option of hanging on the oxygen for a couple of minutes of your safety stop.

Anecdotal evidence is that you feel better and it is a freaking, miracle cure for a co2 headache... but it works pretty well on the surface to. It makes doing 3-5 dives in one day - that are close to (or over) the no deco limit - a little less stupid.

If you want to treat a bend, you can do it on the deck or at 20 feet, This gives you the option for either and it cost $20 to fill the bottle before then next trip.
If I need O2, I rather be on a boat than underwater. Also, a regulator is only going to give oxygen as it’s inhaled, as opposed to a NRB at 15 LPm, So it really limits my options if I need some route to admin it, N/c, cpap (unlikely on a dive boat private dive boat) or BVM.

Also, the o2 in scuba dooba tanks in aviation grade (dry) not medical grade (moist)

Also, the o2 in scuba dooba tanks in aviation grade (dry) not medical grade (moist)
Depends on where and how you get it.

If I need O2, I rather be on a boat than underwater. Also, a regulator is only going to give oxygen as it’s inhaled, as opposed to a NRB at 15 LPm, So it really limits my options if I need some route to admin it, N/c, cpap (unlikely on a dive boat private dive boat) or BVM.

I'm not trained in this either, but if the victim needs oxygen and can't breathe on their own and you are offshore..... I always figured that the outcome is probably not going to be good. I am comfortable with just having a scuba regulator and a bottle on the boat for emergencies, but somebody can always bring a DAN kit too if they want.

Not sure about the relevance of medical versus aviator oxygen?

If you are way out and need to wait for a helicopter to pluck you off the boat, maybe it would be better to be waiting underwater. If you can reach shore quickly, then oxygen on the deck while you got the hammer down would certainly make sense for most people.

So the questions:

1) Tell me the good, bad and ugly with this overall plan. (I’m old but can still take a punch)

2) Is the brand new Mares 22 (both 1st and 2nd and hose) good to go for 100% or do I need to have it O2 cleaned?

3) What needs to be done to 2nd stages and hoses to make them good to go for 100%?

4) What needs to be done to the short hose SPG for 100% o2

5) Am I overthinking all of this and really just need clean equipment and then slowly pressurize?

6) Anything else?

PS….. I know that I can sign up for a tech class that will answer all of these and any other questions…..but just wanted to start the conversation here.

Thanks folks!

1-I wouldn't put that bottle in the water, but if you do then rig it like a standard DIR style deco bottle with the exception of adding a drysuit inflator hose. Inflator hose because you should have a RescuEAN on board that will give you a constant flow O2 device for an O2 mask if you need it for a medical emergency. I would leave it on the boat for what you require and treat it like an O2 kit. I don't believe in pony bottles either, but if you're staying above 100ft with single tanks you shouldn't be anywhere near any issues and with the temps you're diving you are probably best off getting on the boat and breathing surface O2 for the drive home.
If you put it in the water you do not want to detune the second stages, bad idea because if you are having any issues you want the best breathing regulator possible. Bring it in the water with the tank turned on, then when you leave it, turn the valve off with the system pressurized.

2-unsure but probably is

3-nothing, you don't need to O2 clean the LP side of the regulator. Most do if they are O2 cleaning the first just to prevent cross contamination with the lubricants, but they don't have to be

4-nothing

5-basically

6-as said above, add a drysuit hose to the reg and a RescuEAN for topside and that solves your O2 kit need as far as ability to use a BVM or non-rebreather mask.

The oxygen in both tanks is the same. There is no moisture added to medical oxygen in the bottle. Moisture is sometimes added within the hospital plumbing to the wall taps but never in the bottle.
The only difference between those two tanks is aviator is tested and guaranteed to be dry.

Thanks f........ Having a head banger under the boat was a bad idea..

Cheers..
LOL, I learn the hard way. We had a 72 cuft steel bottle hanging at 20 feet on a rope on a rough day slamming up and down. It had a suicide clip on it to hold it to the rope or something.

I got careless or distracted, who knows. and was doing a solo hang and the bottle got behind me and then self clipped the suicide clip on the tank neck to my regulator hose right behind my head. How the hell does that happen? I couldn't figure out what was going on and couldn't "get away" from the head beating...

3-4 foot seas and the boat is rolling side to side.. It really was a seriously bad situation.

Take my word ,,,, the long hose is soo much better and you can use whatever tank you want to hold oxygen on the boat, it never goes in the water, you can use a soft weight bag on the hose instead of a chunk of lead if you want.

The inline switch is essential to prevent freefow of an unattended second stage and.. don't forget to turn the bottle on before you splash, we did that trick as well.

Great point and I pretty much agree. But if you are not certain

Sorry.... my last partial post got cut off due to a power outage. I'll be back tomorrow after getting back from chasing that little white ball and having a nice 5 mile walk on the golf course! Thanks again for the responses. I sincerely appreciate the advice as well as the constructive criticism. Cheers....

The oxygen in both tanks is the same. There is no moisture added to medical oxygen in the bottle. Moisture is sometimes added within the hospital plumbing to the wall taps but never in the bottle.
The only difference between those two tanks is aviator is tested and guaranteed to be dry.
Correct. The allowable limit is higher (or lower), but that doesn't mean that you are getting anything near the limit.

For some reason divers think that oxygen providers are selling stuff that is right at the limit. It is well known that modern bulk oxygen is from the same source/bulk tank, but the only difference is the labeling and paperwork. You don't see them going "that's medical, we need to add moisture to it". It is under the upper limit, done, sold.

I would do as suggested, keep the bottle on the boat and use a long hose. Additional O2 on deck is a separate deal (from the same bottle). Doesn't have to be one or the other, both can exist. A little something extra at 20' for that day where you are not feeling that great at the end of the dive. Huff away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom