Dive Flags Again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seabear70:
There are some truly sick human biengs out there, and if you give them just a little alchahol, and a way to do it that won't get their hands dirty or allow other people to blame them, you'd better stay out of their way.

You are correct, there are sick people in the world - that is demonstrated daily. But to suggest your average boater will have a beer or 2 and go out looking to kill divers is just silly.

I have been boating for may years and I can assure you, every one I have met would never do such a thing.

Boaters get to close to divers because they are uneducated not because they want to kill people.

Hats off to Simcoe Diver and the likes for taking steps to educate boaters. That will go a lot further to keeping all divers alive and safe than a "bang stick" will.

Two recent event. Had lunch at a local spot Friday and got chatting with the next guy at the counter. Turns out he fishes and boats out of Wiraton. Asked him if he would recognize the meaning of a red flag with a diagonal white stripe. He said "NO", he'd seen them, but didn't know what they were. When I explained it meant there were scuba divers in the area and he should keep well away, he was quite surprised and said he certainly would in the future.
Then, diving yesterday at Cedar Hill (near Wiarton). We ended up the last divers in and were towing our flag. Heard some close sounding boats, didn't give it a lot of thought, as we were mid dive in 35 feet of water. After we came ashore, we were told that one boat in particular had changed course from well off shore and closed to within about 30 feet of our flag (he was just out of range of the rocks being thrown at him from shore), apparently to better idntify it. I've been working on coming up with a better, more visible flag. I think I've changed my mind and I'll fly no flag at all. IF I go to Toby or some place (US) where flags are required, I'll have it along in my trailer, but I've come to the conclusion it's a target, at least until boaters in general are better educated, so it can stay in there.

Scuba Duffer:
You are correct, there are sick people in the world - that is demonstrated daily. But to suggest your average boater will have a beer or 2 and go out looking to kill divers is just silly.

I have been boating for may years and I can assure you, every one I have met would never do such a thing.

Boaters get to close to divers because they are uneducated not because they want to kill people.

Hats off to Simcoe Diver and the likes for taking steps to educate boaters. That will go a lot further to keeping all divers alive and safe than a "bang stick" will.

True.. I doubt that anybody would intentionally harm anyone.. However, drinking and boating is a daily event. I keep two boats in two seperate marina's and I see it every day...
Unfortunately its hard to enforce. Over years of observations I've come to the conclusion that the bigger and faster the boat, the more ignorant the driver.. We are not talking cruisers, and sailboats, etc.. I mean the big plastic, zillion-dollar tupperware wonders without mufflers.. Usually driven by someone with loads of money and no training.. who bought the biggest, fastest thing he can get.. And they do some pretty silly stuff.. racing up and down the beach with swimmers isn't exactly a bright idea..<sigh>.. Ok.. I'm done ranting..

Groundhog246:
a better, more visible flag. ........it's a target, at least until boaters in general are better educated, so it can stay in there.

since some boaters dont seem to know what a dive flag means I wonder if a large close-circuit safety sausage with reflective tape on the top would be any better, for use when you are ascending

I'm thinking, a long piece of polyethelene rope (the floaty kind), with floats like they use for a swimming area, every 100 feet, dive flags stenciled on the floats, maybe a couple of float/mast/flags like we carry now and anchor it well out at right angles to the shore. Anyone who runs his boat over it will likely be sitting for a while, trying to remove the melted rope from his prop (won't work with PWC's, darn), which might allow time for a chat on the meaning of dive flags. :eyebrow: Of course, I'm gonna need a Zodiac (or at least a kayak) to set and retrieve it.

Wow! thats a great idea, but the Ontario Underwater council is almost no more as they have had such financial problems. In 70's and 80's when there were diving clubs with over 500 members the organisation bloomed but those days are gone. You need to lobby your local member of parliment to help you get in touch with the right people who can help you with your cause.

Good Luck

Mr Adams

Yeah, I've had a discussion about the OUC with an LDS. From some of their actions, I'm not surprised they ran into financial difficulties. I think if they could show a reason to exist, such as doing something to improve diver safety, they might be able to stage a comeback. But it's the chicken and egg scenario. With no finds they can't do much and if they don't do much, who's going to provide any funds. I'm told they distributed a poster years ago on the meaning of a dive flag. Anyone know any details?

Personally I don't think there is much we can do about the idiots in boats. Short of lobbying our MPs and MPPs. But consider the fact that there is more money to be made off the boating industry rather than the diving industry....Where do you think their main concern will be?

Oh, I agree. As I've said before, they're as likely as not to tell us we can only dive in a few particular areas. Or something like some of the US states, where divers must carrry dive flags at all times in the water, but boats are still not required to 'respect' them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom