Dive Flags Again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simcoediver

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Today,, my 2 sons are snorkelling off my boat just out from Jacksons Point {Lake Simcoe}I have a dive flag in full view on my boat and up comes these teenagers in a powerboat not more than 20 feet away! They happened to stop long enough for me to ask them if they knew what the flag meant,, and they said NO,,I then told them what it was,, they gave me a wave and sped off like it was no big deal. There really needs to be some kind of education for boaters,,,,perhaps signs in all the marinas in Ontario explaining about our dive flag??

Could I recommend a flare gun?

It really gets the message across when bounced of of the windshield, and hey can't claim you were being malicious, you were just trying to warn them off.

These kids looked liked they honestly did not know what the dive flag meant ,I dont know if thats their fault or not , I mean they were only a couple of teenagers doing what we used to do when we were their age,,the government needs to crack down on these kids and make sure they understand the rules of boating better.. Not just teenagers,,everyone regardless of age..

Hi

What needs to happen is the OPP get off there buts and start giving out $500 fines for boaters who travel with in 500 feet of a divers flag, plus it would be nice if the goverment posted large signs at public boat ramps telling boaters what a dive flag is and to stay the hell way from it. I figure the diving community is to small for it to be an issue, regardless of incidents to goverment officials or it would have been done in already.

Education does not help, A lot of these people know what the flags are for and do not care.

HI

I don't subscribe to your point of view, EDUCATION DOES HELP, the problem is that no one is teaching or CREATING a law that will protect divers.

Mr A

Well, they have laws, and there is always civil penealties, but enforcement is beyond abysmal at times.

There are lake cops and rangers who break these rules, And if you point out that a boater broke these rules, even if you have the registration numbers from the hull, officials will often blame the divers for the problem. There was one lake in Iowa that was closed to divers due to the complaints of Cats constantly runing over dive flags. Signs had been posted, pamphlets left, and people were constantly warned, yet whenever anyone expected the laws to be enforced, it was the divers that were to blame, because they happened to be there.

So, after the divers were thrown out things were fine for a year or so, and then a catamaran ran over a 6 year old girl killing her. Suddenly everyone wanted to know why no one was enforcing rules on that lake. I'm sure they would have tried to blame us if they could have found a way.

BTW : Several rather ugly fights started after divers tried to tell boaters about the flags and the divers were told, basicly, "Who gives a damn, it's only divers!" I wasn't in any of those fights, but I'll tell you what, if anybody said they didn't care if they killed a diver to my face, I would be hard pressed to not take that personally.

Mr Adams:
Hi

What needs to happen is the OPP get off there buts and start giving out $500 fines for boaters who travel with in 500 feet of a divers flag, plus it would be nice if the goverment posted large signs at public boat ramps telling boaters what a dive flag is and to stay the hell way from it. I figure the diving community is to small for it to be an issue, regardless of incidents to goverment officials or it would have been done in already.

First we need some level of governement to get off of their bureaucratic tooshies and enact a law that would give the water-cops the authoritah to crank out the fine.

Or of course, we could all carry a couple of out-of-season fish with us underwater. When a boat gets too close, chuck a fish into the boat and call the MNR. That will get results!

Ontario Diver:
First we need some level of governement to get off of their bureaucratic tooshies and enact a law that would give the water-cops the authoritah to crank out the fine.

Or of course, we could all carry a couple of out-of-season fish with us underwater. When a boat gets too close, chuck a fish into the boat and call the MNR. That will get results!
Or you take your dive knife and put a long gash into the side of the boat. This for one will make identification easier and will prevent the boat from taking off because the owner for sure will stay around and will try to get reimbursement for the damage.
A small cut in your arm should be proof enough that the boat endangared your health and life.
It may be very radical but I'm tired of being frindly and PC, when the real culprits don't even care for health or life as long as they can speed around.

One of the main problems is education. I received my Pleasure Craft Operator's Card four years ago and there was no mention of what a boater was to do upon approaching a dive flag. In fact all one was required to do for the exam was identify the flag. If you look here there is no mention at all as to the safe distance a boater should maintain from a diver's flag or more importantly the serious health and safety risk which exists for a diver when a boat approaches too close to a dive flag. I imagine many of the OPP are not familiar either with the regulations regarding dive flags. It is time for divers to write the Canadian Coast Gaurd and request an upgrade to this part of the boating course so the regulations are clear and boaters are educated. Once that is done the OPP marine unit can start enforcing the regulations by handing out tickets.

http://www.theoperatorcard.ca/course/index.php?page21.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom