Dive Flag Violations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jon Remington

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I received a citation today for beach diving without a dive flag. The fine is $109.
I never use a dive flag these days because I've had Three incidents where my flag was ran over or pulled up on in an effort to steal it, or whatever.
I do extreme beach dives with a DPV. I'm often a half mile off shore in 35 feet of depth. The dive flag has caused so many problems we finally gave up on them and just huge the bottom. We've never been less than 15 feet, except on the exit.
My question is: what is the penalty for my second offense? I don't plan on using the flags ever. I've gone 6 years and hundreds of dive before I was fined. $109 is certainly worth it to me. We plan our dives and dive our plans. The risks we've avoided ditching the flag are numerous in this particular area. Boaters actually aim for the flag. Jetskis definitely run them down. Not to mention the entanglements.
Anyway, if someone knows the penalty for my second offense that would be great. I had mo luck online finding this info.

The fine is $109.
You might have been ticketed under a local or county law at $109.
Because state law violations are 'Must Appear" when it falls under FS327.331 and FS327.73

From Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine and Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

1. For a first offense, $100.
2. For a second offense occurring within 12 months after a prior conviction, $250.
3. For a third offense occurring within 36 months after a prior conviction, $500.
4. For a fourth or subsequent offense occurring within 72 months after a prior conviction, $1,000.

The $109 versus $100 might be handling fees and credit card charges.

From Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine and Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

1. For a first offense, $100.
2. For a second offense occurring within 12 months after a prior conviction, $250.
3. For a third offense occurring within 36 months after a prior conviction, $500.
4. For a fourth or subsequent offense occurring within 72 months after a prior conviction, $1,000.

The $109 versus $100 might be handling fees and credit card charges.
Ouch. Boats are probably cheaper...

Jon, where were you when you got cited?
Was LE on the beach or on a boat, curious how this transpired.

Maybe use a flag on an inflatable float for entry & exit? Could be deflated and stowed, basically used as an SMB.

We’ve had similar issues with local boaters, it’s a pain.

Lance

Gather 200 divers who are like minded and then have all 200 of you dive at the same time off the same beach and all 200 of you each have an individual dive flag. Call the media and have them there to document the cluster****. PS..... Bring a redundant air supply and multiple cutting devises.

PSPS..... make sure that the authorities are advised in advance to enforce that ANY boat that approaches within 100 yards of ANY dive flag is appropriately fined for that violation.

Back
Top Bottom