Dive Fin, keepers / inserts? Do you use them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There has been at least one previous thread about these plastic formers, which are designed to retain the shape of foot pockets which would otherwise sag or warp:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fins-masks-snorkels/279522-fins.html

Manufacturers introduced these formers when they started using thermoplastic elastomer (TPE) instead of natural rubber (NR) to make fin foot pockets. Apparently, TPE requires less processing and sticks better than NR to plastic blades, so it benefits the manufacturer, but its tendency to sag and warp when fins are stored and shipped are disadvantages that make NR, in my opinion, a much better material than TPE for the divers and snorkellers who use fins, no matter what manufacturers say. I snorkel with natural rubber full-foot fins, which stay perfectly in shape without these plastic formers.

I don't remember where I read this, but I thought those inserts were actually there to be used as spacers in in your fin pocket if you need it to get the fin to fit better. Like if you wear a thick-soled boot you would not use the spacer, but then use it when you switch to a thin-soled boot. It takes up the extra space so the fin doesn't feel as loose on your foot. I used mine like that after I read that tip and it actually made the fin feel better in the water. I'm a newbie so far be it from me to doubt anyone here more experienced, but I got that tip somewhere, just cant remember where.

I use them in my fins when I pack my box for a dive (fins on the bottom) and when I get home I put them in my booties to keep them open so they dry completely.
Note to the last poster: If you have ever tried to put your foot in your fin with the inserts in there you will quickly discover that they are for storage!!

I've had fin pockets cave in and it just make them more difficult to don. Since that experience I keep the pocket spacers and the pocket keep their shape making them easy to don.

When I store my spare fins I keep the inserts in them to maintain the shape of the foot pocket. Otherwise only use them when I pack fins for travel

I use them in my fins when I pack my box for a dive (fins on the bottom) and when I get home I put them in my booties to keep them open so they dry completely.
Note to the last poster: If you have ever tried to put your foot in your fin with the inserts in there you will quickly discover that they are for storage!!

I'm not trying to argue the case one way or the other, but if you read my previous post carefully I stated that I have actually used them while in the water and it does work well for me. Even though my fins fit snugly in the toe of the boot, there is extra space at the top with my thin-soled boots, and the insert makes it feel nice and snug (Genesis Response fins). I also keep them in my fins when in storage so the pockets don't get crushed, as well as sticking them in my boots to help them dry.

Just passing on my experience in case anyone else is interested.

Comfort is everything for a safe and enjoyable dive.

Never use the plastic footpocket insert while diving.

I use mine to help keep the footpocket form like a shoe tree. I have the Smokes.

I'm not trying to argue the case one way or the other, but if you read my previous post carefully I stated that I have actually used them while in the water and it does work well for me.

Sorry, I should have said "When "I" tried to put my bootie in my fin having forgotten to remove the inserts "I" realized they were for storage!!

I wanted to echo this. Rather than using the less-than-sustainable resolution of simply trashing them, I always use them for holding boots, hoods, and even gloves open so they can dry easily and effectively. I have a nice collection and they're great for getting air circulating around the insides. After gear dries, I just lay them flat under a gear box ready to use again.

This past week, while diving on Brac, some friends noticed we were doing this and commented that it was a good use. Never really thought about it but I'm glad others are doing the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom