Dive Fin, keepers / inserts? Do you use them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guessing you mean something like this:
31cz8LBlHOL._AA300_.jpg

I personally have no need - my full foot fins stay on just fine on their own.

EDIT - or do you mean the things that often come inside the fin foot pocket to hold it open? I never kept any that came with my fins and they are all fine (8 fins among 4 people)

Those fin inserts aren't useful after they leave the store. Please throw them away before they end up in the ocean.

No, those aren't the inserts.

I take them out of the fins, and put them in the trash.

I keep them in my snorkeling fins when they're in storage, because I don't use those fins very often. They are not highest quality, so I figured if the rubber were smashed flat for months on end, it might crack there. On dive trips, I have used them to hold the ankles of my booties open so they will dry (but then I made some better bootie-ankle-holder-openers out of old plastic water bottles).

Those fin inserts aren't useful after they leave the store. Please throw them away before they end up in the ocean.

I keep mine to use for storage or when packing a lot of gear in a small space to protect the pocket.

I make use of them and keep them out of the environment. Just don't bring them to the ocean, keep them where you store your fins.

Thanks for the replies / and info.

I keep mine to use for storage or when packing a lot of gear in a small space to protect the pocket.

Oh, right, I forgot about that feature! They do make the fin pockets into handy little protective suitcases :) And yeah, I don't bring them on the dive boat but leave them back with my spare gear. I think they would be a pain to keep track of on the boat/dive site.

At first, I thought you were talking about the split fins, and thought, "Come on, let him enjoy them for a few dives..." :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom