Dive Etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waldick

Reaction score
Ok, so i'm about ready to go to coz for the first time and i have made arrangements with a dive op. who is the owner and operator...so a friend of mine tells me that it is proper etiquette to tip the dive op. ? my whole family, 4 of us will be diving, so tip?,how much?, even if it is the owner?

Thanks for any advise ?

J

p.s. yes, this is my first time diving anywhere but in a quarry and i'm recently certified.....

I ask the same question, most resposes were 5 doller per day or more if you had a good time and less to none if you did not.
Randy

Randy-S:
I ask the same question, most resposes were 5 doller per day or more if you had a good time and less to none if you did not.
Randy

AFAIK, the most accepted practice is 5 dollars per tank, not per day. Of course, good or bad service will cause this to fluctuate accordingly.

Yup, $5/tank...so for four of you that is $20/dive. I gave mine to either the DM or the skipper on the day. They split it...and earned it! If you get exceptional service, tip more. If you don't get good service then you need to make the call.

IMHO, you shouldn't tip for really terrible or unsafe service. A tip is incentive and reward, no matter if some one "lives" on their tips.

so a friend of mine tells me that it is proper etiquette to tip the dive op. ?
Yes, well - tip the crew, not the operator.

tell him you'll be back...

Man oh man - getting tips working in Cozumel...

I wish the whole tip thing would've caught on here in canada...lot more work!!!

Tamas:
yeah but what if the operator is the crew?
Then - that'd be the crew I'd tip, the crew who takes care of me personally.

I wish the whole tip thing would've caught on here in canada...lot more work!!!
After diving Brockville ONT for 3 days, I tipped the husband & wife who ran the boat - a bit more than $5 US per tank, and they acted like they'd not seen a tip in a while? But maybe putting up with Americans is worth more? :lol2:

We Canadians tip in Brockville. I've typically seen $5 CAD per tank (which really isn't a whole hell of a lot less than USD these days, thanks to W's genius economic plans), but have regularly seen little or no tipping when divers are dissatisfied - ie: captain couldn't find the wreck before the buoys were put out. Maybe it's just cuz you paid at the end of the 3 days - lots of Canadians take day trips, and would tip at the end of each day.

I don't know if putting up with Americans is worth more, but it certainly seems be more work :wink:

wetbehindtheear stated,
"which really isn't a whole hell of a lot less than USD these days, thanks to W's genius economic plans." I find it interesting that the Canadians would blame the USA first regarding the exchange rate. This is instead of praising the Canadian government for currency policy that has strengthened the CAD. In fact the CAD has risen in value also in ratio to the Euro and British Pound among others. I honor your ability and right to disagree with US economic policy. For the first three years of the Bush presidency the USD gained in strength compared to the CAD. The exchange rate is now off about 10.41% from January 2000.

dnhill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom