Dive Computer + Air Integration – Yay or Nay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never did see the sense in buying and using AI while carry a SPG for backup.
Same here. That doesn’t really make sense. If the reason is redundancy, I wonder how many divers are running two SPGs off of a single first stage.

Both SPGs and *transmitters are very reliable. So, for most recreational dives, carrying a backup SPG or transmitter is just not required. In either case, it woul be a good idea to carry a backup pressure reading device in your save a dive kit.

*Some transmitter types are more reliable than others. PPS are probably the simplest, and seem to have the fewest complaints. They turn on with pressure and that’s it. Other types use power saving features that are pretty much unnecessary and add complexity and opportunities for things to go wrong.

Entirely personal choice. No right or wrong.
As for myself: 2 cheapo dc + spg.
One AI = 2 cheapo.

Same here. That doesn’t really make sense. If the reason is redundancy, I wonder how many divers are running two SPGs off of a single first stage.

Both SPGs and *transmitters are very reliable. So, for most recreational dives, carrying a backup SPG or transmitter is just not required. In either case, it woul be a good idea to carry a backup pressure reading device in your save a dive kit.

*Some transmitter types are more reliable than others. PPS are probably the simplest, and seem to have the fewest complaints. They turn on with pressure and that’s it. Other types use power saving features that are pretty much unnecessary and add complexity and opportunities for things to go wrong.
Hard to make sense of different types of diving in different places with different goals?

Ai is more convenient, spg tried and true. I don't want to cancel my dive that I paid good money for because a failed this or that.. in a quarry who cares, except I'm too lazy to change things at that point.

BUT.. other people's diving does make sense to me.. everybody has different views, different goals.

Ai is more convenient, spg tried and true. I don't want to cancel my dive that I paid good money for because a failed this or that.. in a quarry who cares, except I'm too lazy to change things at that point.
That makes sense. On a charter, where the dives are scheduled, you may not have time to change out a transmitter without missing a dive. Private dives off a private boat, or at an inland, or shore based site is a different story. Then, the worst is probably an annoyed buddy. But, it’s usually my boat we are diving from, so I doubt they would complain.

My point was really to those that insist on a backup SPG for redundancy. Yet, I never see rec divers with two SPGs. They can fail as well.

I do understand your point, though. If my diving was different, I might attach an SPG as well.

That makes sense. On a charter, where the dives are scheduled, you may not have time to change out a transmitter without missing a dive. Private dives off a private boat, or at an inland, or shore based site is a different story. Then, the worst is probably an annoyed buddy. But, it’s usually my boat we are diving from, so I doubt they would complain.

My point was really to those that insist on a backup SPG for redundancy. Yet, I never see rec divers with two SPGs. They can fail as well.

I do understand your point, though. If my diving was different, I might attach an SPG as well.

I need more friends with boats, lol:(

I also see your point.. like I said, different divers with different goals. If I was diving like you I do think I'd probably do it a little different (meaning more like you do). Sometimes I'm solo, sometimes I'm in black water. I need all the redundancy I can get, lol.

Best insight of the whole thread ^

If redundant tank pressure measuring was important for safety reasons, then two SPGs would be standard. I have never seen any diver - rec, tec or CCR - with two SPGs on the same gas source (doubles with a closed isolater valve is two sources).

If SPGs were rock solid and never failed, that would explain it, but they aren't. If modern AI was a wonky and failure prone as it was 10-20 years ago, that would explain it, but it isn't.

I don't need AI myself, but if I was using it, I probably wouldn't bother with an SPG as well.

I see a lot of CCR divers using them on their onboard tanks. That's a whole 'nother discussion, but I don't get that.

That is epic🤣🤣!!

If you liked that, you might like this...

Scubaboard_bingo.jpg

One more problem with the transmitter is the doubles DIR setup. There is not really a good place for the transmitter, even with a short hose i couldnt find a place, where i was happy with.
What's wrong with the right post?

What's wrong with the right post?
Its ether outsite and not streamlined, or its where i place my head.
I use mk19evo, maybe it try a longer hose to the transmitter.

But i dont really miss it.
Hmm maybe i do. I had a dive where something went wrong and i felt very nervous, but breathing was under control. I wonder if it really was the same. After dive analysis is my only interest in transmitters.
Maybe i should try to find a good place and reattach it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom