Dive Computer + Air Integration – Yay or Nay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In over four decades, I have yet to have a conventional SPG fail on me, or not jibe with other electronic equipment readings -- nor have I ever witnessed it; but the same cannot be said for air-integrated and non-AI computers, of which I have scuttled quite a few -- something about saltwater, electronics, and the rubber bands that keep everything together . . .
That is awesome. I have not had that run of luck. Spools always tend to fail at inopportune times. Faces get busted, hoses leak at the crimps. It happens. It seems to happen most often when I am getting in the water with students and we all have to go wait while I fix something. Transmitters remove a hose, two spool orings, and a glass face. I have had much more luck since switching.

In 3 years of diving, I had an SPG develop a significant leak at the swivel and later take an accidental hit that broke the glass face, requiring repair/replacement mid trip.
Those instances all stem from mechanical damages, not failures, which can affect any piece of equipment -- and, potentially, some poor maintenance -- a new spool at the swivel point, is less than two bucks, and a few minutes time, to correct any "significant leak." I carry a baggie of them in my field repair kit.

I have seen several transmitters snapped from first stages, while working boats, years ago; seen batteries flood; and unknown other serial failures, which left the prospective divers "dry-docked" and on otherwise expensive boat rides.

I am not a Luddite at all; I've just been around long enough to prefer some analogue redundancy, along with electronics . . .

Those instances all stem from mechanical damages, not failures, which can affect any piece of equipment -- and, potentially, some poor maintenance -- a new spool at the swivel point, is less than two bucks, and a few minutes time, to correct any "significant leak." I carry a baggie of them in my field repair kit.

I have seen several transmitters snapped from first stages, while working boats, years ago; seen batteries flood; and unknown other serial failures, which left the prospective divers "dry-docked" and on expensive boat rides.

I am not a Luddite at all; I've just been around long enough to prefer some redundancy, along with electronics . . .
In 3 years, I had a few issues with 1 SPG - but in 5 years (and many more dives) with 2 transmitters I’ve had no issues - nor have I seen anyone have issues. So, my point is that transmitters are not more prone to failure/damage as some here want to suggest - so no need to be scared to use them if you want to.

I have seen several transmitters snapped from first stages, while working boats, years ago; seen batteries flood; and unknown other serial failures, which left the prospective divers "dry-docked" and on expensive boat rides.

I am not a Luddite at all; I've just been around long enough to prefer some redundancy, along with electronics . . .
Think recently, I have seen lots of early version items fail as well. When was the last time you saw these failures. Technology evolves.
I also spend a fair amount of time around boats. I don't see nearly the spg failures on boats as I do in caves, but they do occasionally happen.

In over four decades, I have yet to have a conventional SPG fail on me, or not jibe with other electronic equipment readings -- nor have I ever witnessed it; but the same cannot be said for air-integrated and non-AI computers, of which I have scuttled quite a few -- something about saltwater, electronics, and the rubber bands that keep everything together . . .

1) I don't use AI. Don't really see the need, when diving OC I don't check tank pressure so frequently that I need it very readily available. A glance at an SPG is fine for me.

2) I think that my early experience with AI failures (I tried it about 10-15 years ago) doesn't reflect the reliability of modern AI, which seem to be much better.

3) I have absolutely seen SPG failures with my own (well maintained) gear, including one case where the needle was stuck pegged at 2000 PSI. It was only apparent that it wasn't working when I didn't see motion when I depressurized the system (it was a bailout bottle). That is a very unsafe failure mode, and as mentioned upthread, something that doesn't really happen with AI systems.

My brand new Cressi sub pressure gauge failed at being stuck on a full tank. My AI perdix worked for that dive...When I was about at 2500 PSI I noticed the mechanical gauge hadn't moved.....when I depressurized it went to zero...repressurized and it went to full....just wouldn't go down until you were at zero...I sent it back and they replaced it with a working one...my boat dives and trip were not ruined due to my AI Perdix working!

Agreed. For the most part. My one complaint is that it seem to imply that console AI offers features that aren’t available in wrist mount AI. About the only thing I can think of might be screen size. Everything else is available in wrist mount.
One word: Shearwater. Perdix. AI.

That was easy.

OMMOHY

That was easy.

OMMOHY

I have one but do not use a transmitter. Oh dear lol I like having a digital SPG console all the same. hehehehe

3) I have absolutely seen SPG failures with my own (well maintained) gear, including one case where the needle was stuck pegged at 2000 PSI. It was only apparent that it wasn't working when I didn't see motion when I depressurized the system (it was a bailout bottle). That is a very unsafe failure mode, and as mentioned upthread, something that doesn't really happen with AI systems.
Thanks for that example. This is what I was referring to earlier. Mechanical and electronic systems will fail at some point. Not knowing that a failure occurred can be dangerous.

That was easy.
I have one. I used to have an Oceanic ProPlus 2. The Oceanic had a larger screen. Perdix bridges the gap nicely though, and is probably at least as easy to read (if not easier) due to the better screen and colors.

My brand new Cressi sub pressure gauge failed at being stuck on a full tank. My AI perdix worked for that dive...When I was about at 2500 PSI I noticed the mechanical gauge hadn't moved.....when I depressurized it went to zero...repressurized and it went to full....just wouldn't go down until you were at zero...I sent it back and they replaced it with a working one...my boat dives and trip were not ruined due to my AI Perdix working!
Your trip wasn't ruined because you had redundancy, not BECAUSE of the AI, and that's the point. Sure, have AI if you can afford it, but an spg is your backup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom