Dive Computer + Air Integration – Yay or Nay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Air integration; is it really better than using an SPG? Expert dive instructor Alexandra Ward shares the breakdown of air integration options and their pros and cons this week for Ocean Pulse. So whether you're in the market for new dive gear or just love everything scuba, be sure to check it out!

Dive Computer + Air Integration – Yay or Nay?
Seems like a well written, balanced view in the article.

For me personally - I don't get enough dives per year and I don't do anything beyond rec (and have no intention to do so) - so there truly no cost justification to having AI. My plain old SPG does what I need.

Having said that - diving is a hobby for me. And by "definition" a hobby is something that doesn't necessarily make financial sense. Just because I don't have a business case for a Garmin MK2i or Shearwater Teric...doesn't mean I won't buy one :D (If I do buy one - I will keep the SPG attached to avoid having a transmitter issue ruin a dive)

Seems like a well written, balanced view in the article.
Agreed. For the most part. My one complaint is that it seem to imply that console AI offers features that aren’t available in wrist mount AI. About the only thing I can think of might be screen size. Everything else is available in wrist mount.
For me personally - I don't get enough dives per year and I don't do anything beyond rec (and have no intention to do so) - so there truly no cost justification to having AI. My plain old SPG does what I need.
AI is definitely a luxury. Not required at all. I’ve only ever owned AI computers for myself. Console and wrist. I dive only rec at this point, and I don’t think anyone will admit to getting enough dives per year.

It’s a convenience, having AI gives you everything in one place, and also gives you the ability to track gas usage at every point in the dive. My gas usage is fairly consistent. I use more at the beginning of the dive, then it settles down for the remainder. That makes sense as I add a bit to my BC once at depth. Higher usage at other points in the dive is at least cause for understanding why. start pressure and end pressure won’t give you that level of detail.

Five years ago, I was firmly in the SPG camp. Now I only have gauges on stages and deco bottles. The transmitters don't fail nearly as often as SPGs.
And if it does, it is the same as when your SPG fails. You turn the dive and install a new one when you get out. I have yet to find a downside outside of I used to leave my regs pressurized and I have to remember to drain them so it doesn't drain the battery now.

Five years ago, I was firmly in the SPG camp. Now I only have gauges on stages and deco bottles. The transmitters don't fail nearly as often as SPGs.
And if it does, it is the same as when your SPG fails. You turn the dive and install a new one when you get out. I have yet to find a downside outside of I used to leave my regs pressurized and I have to remember to drain them so it doesn't drain the battery now.
And another thing, when a pressure transmitter fails, it generally fails in a spectacular manner. Such that there is no question that it failed. Not always the case with an SPG, where the needle may stick at an incorrect pressure. In that case, it may not be immediately obvious that the SPG has failed.

And another thing, when a pressure transmitter fails, it generally fails in a spectacular manner. Such that there is no question that it failed. Not always the case with an SPG, where the needle may stick at an incorrect pressure. In that case, it may not be immediately obvious that the SPG has failed.
I have never had one actually fail. I have lost connection many times, but not for any amount of time. I'm sure it is only a matter of time, but it hasn't happened to me yet.

I've always used wrist computers but my first one was a Suunto Gekko I bought used just after getting OW certified. Used it until it quit working. When I was shopping for a new computer, Suunto was giving the transmitter for free with the Vyper Air, so I bought that. I've used AI since. I now use an Oceanic OCi.

I seriously doubt I would go back to non-AI. I can see everything I need to see with just a glance at my wrist.

In over four decades, I have yet to have a conventional SPG fail on me, or not jibe with other electronic equipment readings -- nor have I ever witnessed it; but the same cannot be said for air-integrated and non-AI computers, of which I have scuttled quite a few -- something about saltwater, electronics, and the rubber bands that keep everything together . . .

In over four decades, I have yet to have a conventional SPG fail on me, or not jibe with other electronic equipment readings -- nor have I ever witnessed it; but the same cannot be said for air-integrated and non-AI computers, of which I have scuttled quite a few -- something about saltwater, electronics, and the rubber bands that keep everything together . . .
In 3 years of diving, I had an SPG develop a significant leak at the swivel and later take an accidental hit that broke the glass face, requiring repair/replacement mid trip.

I switched to dual transmitters and have had ZERO problems in the last 5 years. AI is a mature and reliable technology (and, in my personal experience less problematic than my SPG’s) .

Folks should not let the SB luddites scare them off - but use whatever you feel more comfortable with, be it AI or SPG.

I like the streamlined kit, easy redundancy, automatic start/end pressure capture/logging and “real timel” SAC readings while diving that AI provides.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom