Dive Boat Sank???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually it is a CO2 analyzer. DD is very particular about the proper amount of fizz in his soft drinks.
Thanks just saw that. I hate auto complete.

No way am I going to wear a snorkel vest. If I orally inflate it there will be a bag of deathly carbon monoxide around my neck if I auto inflate its a death trap of co2. Lose lose all around. Probably no time for it anyways after I lather myself in sunscreen, grab my signal mirror, radio, flares and GPS. I think I'll just continue to relax, till I see the satellite hurtling down from the heavens to take me out from above before the sharks get me from below. No wonder I drink after my dives, my nerves are completely shot after just a few minutes on the boat. Only thing that's gets me coming back is my death wish.

No way am I going to wear a snorkel vest. If I orally inflate it there will be a bag of deathly carbon monoxide around my neck if I auto inflate its a death trap of co2. Lose lose all around. Probably no time for it anyways after I lather myself in sunscreen, grab my signal mirror, radio, flares and GPS. I think I'll just continue to relax, till I see the satellite hurtling down from the heavens to take me out from above before the sharks get me from below. No wonder I drink after my dives, my nerves are completely shot after just a few minutes on the boat. Only thing that's gets me coming back is my death wish.
Don't forget the tinfoil hat.

[h=2]Researchers Prove Tin Foil Hats Boost Receptivity To Government Signals[/h]
sshot4fb266f18bd0c.jpg
You know the old bit about putting tin-foil on your head to keep the government signals out of your brain? It turns out cladding your head in tin-foil has the opposite effect.

Researchers at MIT, using a network analyzer, tested the impact of tin foil helmets on receptivity of radio-frequency signals. They highlight the method and results in the study abstract:
Among a fringe community of paranoids, aluminum helmets serve as the protective measure of choice against invasive radio signals. We investigate the efficacy of three aluminum helmet designs on a sample group of four individuals. Using a $250,000 network analyser, we find that although on average all helmets attenuate invasive radio frequencies in either directions (either emanating from an outside source, or emanating from the cranium of the subject), certain frequencies are in fact greatly amplified. These amplified frequencies coincide with radio bands reserved for government use according to the Federal Communication Commission (FCC). Statistical evidence suggests the use of helmets may in fact enhance the government’s invasive abilities. We speculate that the government may in fact have started the helmet craze for this reason.
While their conclusion is a bit tongue-in-cheek, the irony of foil helmets increasing reception of government-reserved radio frequencies is certainly not lost on us.
On the Effectiveness of Aluminum Foil Helmets: An Empirical Study

DD, that you are actually a diver is to no end amazing to me! AND that you choose to do most of your dives in such a dangerous neighborhood . . . what can I say? :shocked2:

The amount of resistance to wearing some sort of flotation device on moving boats is amazing. I once boarded CCV boat chartered to take some of us across the channel from Roatan to Utila that had none on board. I grabbed a couple from my FIBR boat and was asked if I could swim?

The fact remains that it's a good idea, a PFD an even better idea, even tho 99,9% won't bother. I still have not heard anyone claim that life vests were ever furnished to these divers? As well pointed out...
Hey, the coast guard and law enforcement agree on this stuff - in regard to personal defense the best firearm you can have is the one you actually have with you. The coast guard looks at PFDs the same way. The best floatation device is the one you actually have with you. The stats show that many more people would survive boating accidents if they wear the absolute best life vest for the situation 100% of the time they are on the water, but they realize that it's not possible for people to wear those vests at all times so they only require them to be on the boat. Don wearing anything that floats puts him at the top of the list for those most likely to survive in a accident, no matter if it's his snorkel vest or he was carrying around a beach ball with him. I also think there is some confusion about life vests (PFD classes) and turning people over if unconcious. I don't think you will find a coast guard requirement for any PFD to turn someone over, the wording will be more ambiguous, along the lines of 'most people' 'most of the time', there will be some wording about the ability of the vest to do so, but not a requirement.

The amount of resistance to wearing some sort of flotation device on moving boats is amazing. I once boarded CCV boat chartered to take some of us across the channel from Roatan to Utila that had none on board. I grabbed a couple from my FIBR boat and was asked if I could swim?

The fact remains that it's a good idea, a PFD an even better idea, even tho 99,9% won't bother. I still have not heard anyone claim that life vests were ever furnished to these divers? As well pointed out...

A PFD is a very good idea.

I just think you are deluding yourself if you think a snorkel vest would save you. Any water you are in that your snorkel vest will provide sufficient assistance, I can tread or float in. I can tread for at least an hour without getting tired (I've had to do that recently for water tests) and thus could tread for even longer than that. Maybe if I'm diving up north, that's an issue- but the sites I was near, there were so many boats it would be shocking to be in the water for even close to that long. But, if it was a several hour wait, I can float well enough that I can take a nap in a swimming pool while floating, in the ocean, I can't sleep because of waves, but can float indefinitely. (And don't go with the "but what if you are injured coming off the boat: if you were injured, you couldn't get the vest blown up either.)

If the water is very rough, a snorkel vest isn't going to do much. If the water is calm, it isn't necessary.

If you really can't swim, then I agree with you that your snorkel vest is probably better than nothing. But swimming lessons would be even better. Or at least learn how to tread water. And also learn not to board unsafe boats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom