Dive Boat Sank???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your understanding is totally incorrect, but then you don't really care do you?

snorkeling%20vest_green.jpg

The snorkel vest you pictured is sold with *not to be used as a life saving device. Mossman's understanding of a snorkel vest actually is what they are made for, though maybe he didn't know there are different kinds. It offers a bit of bouyancy support, and that is it.

The one you linked offers you no more protection than the snorkel belts, or my wetsuit tied around my waist (which I'm not kidding, makes me bouyant enough that I can hang out in it sitting like I'm in a chair.)

If either of us falls off the boat, we'll have an easier time of treading; but none of these things are life jackets. If you are knocked unconscious and facedown, that snorkel vest will not help you; even if you do wear it with air already in it on the boat. A true life jacket will TURN you face up. That is what they are designed to do. Snorkel vests are designed to allow you to be face down. (They'd be pointless for snorkeling if you couldn't do that!)

So why the snorkel vest, really? If DD is not knocked unconscious, is he just too lazy to tread water? Or does he plan on doing some snorkeling while waiting for the rescue boat?

Don travels with a lot of gear, a couple of coffee makers, CO2 checkers etc... So if you're in a boat sinking with him, he might just break out some margaritas for everyone with the battery powered margarita maker he has with him

The one you linked offers you no more protection than the snorkel belts, or my wetsuit tied around my waist (which I'm not kidding, makes me bouyant enough that I can hang out in it sitting like I'm in a chair.)

If either of us falls off the boat, we'll have an easier time of treading; but none of these things are life jackets. If you are knocked unconscious and facedown, that snorkel vest will not help you; even if you do wear it with air already in it on the boat. A true life jacket will TURN you face up. That is what they are designed to do. Snorkel vests are designed to allow you to be face down. (They'd be pointless for snorkeling if you couldn't do that!)
There's the first logical argument I've heard against dive shops storing wetsuits. First thing I do when I get back in the boat is take mine off. It makes it easier to dry myself with the towel they hand me and I know they'll be holding onto it anyway. Little did I know I'd be placing myself in certain danger :shocked2:

And just so DandyDon can see it again: Snorkel vests are designed to allow you to be face down.

---------- Post added February 17th, 2014 at 10:04 AM ----------

Don travels with a lot of gear, a couple of coffee makers, CO2 checkers etc... So if you're in a boat sinking with him, he might just break out some margaritas for everyone with the battery powered margarita maker he has with him
The coffee maker I can at least understand. If you're going to be lost at sea for days, you definitely need coffee!

And just so DandyDon can see it again: Snorkel vests are designed to allow you to be face down.
Yep, a PFD would be better, but we know how the crews hate to get those out. I don't think they bothered even as this boat sunk. But a snorkel vest is not "a vest around the torso" as you claimed. It's a tool, better than nothing, but a life vest would be better.

Little did I know I'd be placing myself in certain danger
11.gif

You're probably safe, just grab it on your way overboard :) But I found out on a surface interval that I apparently travel with a built in chair if I want to hang out in the water.

Hey, the coast guard and law enforcement agree on this stuff - in regard to personal defense the best firearm you can have is the one you actually have with you. The coast guard looks at PFDs the same way. The best floatation device is the one you actually have with you. The stats show that many more people would survive boating accidents if they wear the absolute best life vest for the situation 100% of the time they are on the water, but they realize that it's not possible for people to wear those vests at all times so they only require them to be on the boat. Don wearing anything that floats puts him at the top of the list for those most likely to survive in a accident, no matter if it's his snorkel vest or he was carrying around a beach ball with him. I also think there is some confusion about life vests (PFD classes) and turning people over if unconcious. I don't think you will find a coast guard requirement for any PFD to turn someone over, the wording will be more ambiguous, along the lines of 'most people' 'most of the time', there will be some wording about the ability of the vest to do so, but not a requirement.

Hey, the coast guard and law enforcement agree on this stuff - in regard to personal defense the best firearm you can have is the one you actually have with you.
I thought the saying was "don't bring a knife to a gun fight"?

It's not an Olympian feat, but how long would it take? What would be the point? I can swim 100 feet in full scuba gear with no particular trouble but the boat can cover that distance in a tiny fraction of the time. Moreover, some reputable sources have advised against strenuous physical activity immediately after diving. Even beyond that, it seems to me that when there are a lot of divers in the water and a lot of boats in the area as well, groups of stationary divers are easier for the boats to avoid than a bunch of divers swimming for their respective rides.

It's not a "sad commentary" on anything; it's a question of efficiency and probably a safety concern as well.
You. Make several good points. Backin down is SOP here on the bigger boats. While waiting for pickup the only thing that should be moving is the boat. Even when scattered like marbles at the surface or on a solo or buddy pair pick-up, the captains have a lot on their plates.
When they do back down, it's not ON you. Captain gets within a reasonable distance, kills the engines and signals for the divers to approach.
Most of the local big boy ops have no requirement to stay with the guide. If you do, be assured when you give her the thumbs up signal, she'll raise her hand with palm facing you and then rapidly bend the four fingers at the knuckles several times. That's the signal for "see ya!"
At a minimum, safety sausages are required on all dives. I have couple big honkin DSMBs that are launched from the bottom before my ascent. Unless of course I happen to be with guide when she surfaces or someone else has sent up a marker. (Most divers are gracious when I comes to sharing their sausages with strangers. In fact I welcome it if somebody wants to ride my sausage to the surface. I solo on occasion and sometimes it's comforting to see another hose and reg. I do carry a pony on those dives.)

---------- Post added February 17th, 2014 at 03:28 PM ----------

Thanks. My water came out my nose. But one correction; they're CO analyzes. Which I would have these days next time traveling to a third world country. Like the Florida Keys, lol.

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom