Dive Planning Preprinted slates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got them in my wetnotes, but not really used them. It looks like you fill in the top 3 boxes with max depth, run time and first stop depth, then just minutes in the corresponding boxes on the way up from the first stop as generated by the software? The the next set across is for deeper or longer I'd wager.
Can't you just fill them in in pencil, then rub out for the next dive? I feel like I'm approaching this all too simplistically.
Rich

A bit off track but.....
What would be great is a way to print your dive plan on waterproof adhesive and stick it to the arm slate. When done with the dive peel it off. Hand writing with a smeary pencil on a small curved slate is a pain. Printed numbers would sure be easier to read at depth.
20240401_205949.jpg

Keep that in your suit's pocket.

With two Shearwaters, are you also carrying a watch and depth gauge to use with the written deco plan when both your PDCs fail? If not, then what is the point?

All you need written is key navigation points and tasks, and that's only for sufficiently complex dives.

@Herrick - I like the masking tape approach better than the wet notes. Presume the tape is mounted to the wrist slate. If so, you're not likely to lose it. With wet notes, you never know. FYI, I tried both and chose to stick with the tape.

With two Shearwaters, are you also carrying a watch and depth gauge to use with the written deco plan when both your PDCs fail? If not, then what is the point?

All you need written is key navigation points and tasks, and that's only for sufficiently complex dives.

I use electric tape for 3 plans: planned dive, longer/deeper, and bailout (I am on CC). The idea is two fold. First, in the unlikely event that two computers are out, I can still ascend safely. I can use my buddy's computer for time/depth or rely on an older computer that is not as fancy as Shearwater. Second, the act of planning forces holistic thinking around the dive, and that is never a bad idea.

However, you're right: in general 3 dive computers are probably easier to manage than dive tables and separate gauges.

A bit off track but.....
What would be great is a way to print your dive plan on waterproof adhesive and stick it to the arm slate. When done with the dive peel it off. Hand writing with a smeary pencil on a small curved slate is a pain. Printed numbers would sure be easier to read at depth.
View attachment 842209

Waterproof paper (Mylar?) printed with laser - not inkjet - works pretty well for this. 8.5x11” is available on Amazon. Cut to size and stick it to your curved slate with clear packing tape. Here’s an example format that works for me:

1717385744770.jpeg

I usually plan in Subsurface and copy the info to this format in Excel. An extra copy for the boat crew is handy.

Lance

Waterproof paper (Mylar?) printed with laser - not inkjet - works pretty well for this. 8.5x11” is available on Amazon. Cut to size and stick it to your curved slate with clear packing tape. Here’s an example format that works for me:

View attachment 844226

I usually plan in Subsurface and copy the info to this format in Excel. An extra copy for the boat crew is handy.

Lance
Nice format, but I would need some Helium for that dive.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom