Dishonest LDS ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's an idea I wish would take hold (split training and gear sales), but you won't last long selling OW classes at $450 when the guy across town sells them for $250 and does the hard gear sell. New students don't know enough to know the difference. You stuck like the airlines - your price flexibility is limited by your dumbest competitor.

Rich

Then while they're in your shop you explain your $400 class price and your reasonable price on gear. When they go to the other store and realize that while they may save $200 on the OW class there, they'll pay an extra $400 on the gear. In the end, you'll probably end up at least getting the gear sale. Then when the other instructor is a jerk about letting them use your reasonably priced gear for his cheap class, guess where those students are coming back to.

id love to see someone carrying a set of double lp108s or 130s with splitfins into devils.

id love to see someone carrying a set of double lp108s or 130s with splitfins into devils.
Well I have the 108s but never liked split fins myself. Not thar theres anything wrong with someone else liking them.

I have had so many of the same here where I live. We were told the Hydro-Optics double dome was not worth the money and all sorts of other things. Well we went ahead and purchased one for my wife and tried it out at the YMCA pool and she loves it. I questioned why all of his dive mask were $89 and he said that is what they cost. BS I'll be getting most of my things here or through the internet at half his price.. I was told all the crap about using the LDS because he would be there for me. Why shoud I get my tanks filled here in Montgomery Alabama when I will be diving in Florida?? If I have a problem when in Florida am I going to drop my dive trip and go home? DONT THINK SO

My girlfriend in taking her OW class with plans to do the referral dives in the Caribbean. She doesn't have tons of money so she is borrowing a few of the basic items for the class. She bought booties and a mask but is borrowing fins, and snorkel. The owner of the LDS asked her to bring in the gear she was borrowing so he could make sure it was OK to use.

She brought in a pair of Atomic Aquatics split fins which did fit her feet well. The owner told her she couldn't use them because they were designed for wreck and cave diving and wouldn't give her adequate propulsion power. They are doing Naui and he specifically mentioned they wouldn't be stiff enough to provide enough power for the rescue portion of the class. :confused:

Am I crazy?? This seems to me like the biggest bunch of BS I have ever heard. Is he just trying to sell her more gear? (that was my opinion) SHe also told me he was a "hard-sell" on the other gear and even tried to sell her a wetsuit. Is there any reason she can't use split fins??

Please let me know what you guys think. I think he's a scammer.

Thanks in advance.

I am the OP and I just wanted to follow up for all those that live in the Fairfield County Connecticut area and wanted to know what shop this was.

It was Saam Greenman of Captain Saam's in Stamford Connecticut. He continued to gives us problems afterwards and my girlfriend eventually had to seek instruction elsewhere. I also talked to several other dive shops in the area and they told me they constantly get students that quit his class and get OW instruction elsewhere for various reasons. So needless to say he has a bad reputation.

He also sells new/used dive equipment on Ebay. So buyer beware if you are looking at his items.

NAUI has a code of ethics for instructors and affiliates - per the NAUI website this store is an affiliate. There are some quality standards that we must abide by - one of those for affiliates is "Commitment to Community - I will dedicate myself to promoting a positive image within my local community". I would write NAUI HQ and let them know of your experience.

As an aside for those that were commenting about the rescue portion of the NAUI Scuba Diver Course (Open Water for most of you), NAUI teaches the rescue of unconscious victims both at the surface and at depth.

I am not a cave'er, and I do not sell split fins (with the exception of snorkling fins), but I do use the SP splits on wrecks in the NE with dbl lp95's and 112's and also Atomic splits on drift dives in Fl. with only single tank. No problems with propulsion in either situation.

Blackrock - Sorry your girl friend had such a bad experience with Capt Saam. I have to agree that Saam is a business to avoid. Maybe some folks on SB will come to his aid, maybe not.

I sent a friend to his shop for OW training a few years ago. My friend was from India. Saam kept stalling, would not let him join a class. My friend found a class with another shop. I decided to not confront Saam, rather stop sending business his way.

As a business owner, I feel he is entitled to run his business anytime he wants to. As customers, we get to make our choices. There is only one way to react to his type of business model, avoid it.

I am the OP and I just wanted to follow up for all those that live in the Fairfield County Connecticut area and wanted to know what shop this was.

It was Saam Greenman of Captain Saam's in Stamford Connecticut. He continued to gives us problems afterwards and my girlfriend eventually had to seek instruction elsewhere. I also talked to several other dive shops in the area and they told me they constantly get students that quit his class and get OW instruction elsewhere for various reasons. So needless to say he has a bad reputation.

He also sells new/used dive equipment on Ebay. So buyer beware if you are looking at his items.

Kevin; thanks for sending Liz my way for her ow course..I knew of some of the issues she had at Samms,but perhaps not all.She was a pleasure to have in a class.She did all that was required of her in the class and I did did not have to resolve any major issues other than what any other ow student may have had.I wish all my students were as good,she really applied herself.I'm also pleased that I was able to work out the class for her at her schedule.
I understand that she had a great time in Bonaire for her ow training dives with the referral that I gave her.
Hope to see you guys soon.
E

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom