Disgusted...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Day trips into the gulf are much cheaper but still a bit expensive. That doesn't change the fact that the water does clear up as you go further offshore.

How far out do you have to go to reach water 50’ deep? 100’?
It is shallow for a long way off shore. In places I have heard of wade fishermen going a long way out, although there are troughs.

There is a lot of river water dumped in the Gulf all along the Texas coast. I was working in South Padre Island years about 10 yrs ago and can remember dropping down an oil rig and thought I was about to hit bottom at about 90'. It was a layer of freezing cold muddy river water flowing south. The captain said it was from the Mississippi.

How far out do you have to go to reach water 50’ deep? 100’?
It is shallow for a long way off shore. In places I have heard of wade fishermen going a long way out, although there are troughs.

Roughly, the 25 mile rig we dive sometimes is about 80', the 35 mile rigs (gone) about 100', the Kraken at about 65 miles is in 140'.

That is a $700 base ride. Not everyone's wallet agrees with you.

The base ride is $585. I just got back from FLower Garden Banks (FGB) a couple days ago. It’s not bad price for 6 dives + a night dive, including all you can eat food & lodging.

I see your point though. Texas Coast is just not ideal for diving with all the silt from many rivers spilling into the Gulf. FGB is about 110 miles off the Texas Coast. So, it’s pretty much like being in Caribbean, not in Texas Coast.

I live 20 minute away from Freeport, where Fling Charter docks. So, the $585 for a weekend diving trip is still cheaper than flying to Florida for similar weekend trip.

I live 20 minute away from Freeport, where Fling Charter docks. So, the $585 for a weekend diving trip is still cheaper than flying to Florida for similar weekend trip.

Plus, you can get 7 blue water tropical dives in over the weekend and not miss any time from work. And if bad weather or seas spring up, you haven't lost anything.

Plus, you can get 7 blue water tropical dives in over the weekend and not miss any time from work. And if bad weather or seas spring up, you haven't lost anything.

Right :D

Speaking of blue water tropical dives, I saw these beauties swam by me on Saturday.

M1830184.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom