Disgusted...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rob Bibber

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Pretty disgusted with South Texas diving. I could have spent the winter in Florida instead :-(

Almost no shore diving and what there is is usually very low vis. Any good dives require a boat and are weather dependent (which sucks).

Can't wait to get back to Maine this summer. Water may be cold but pretty much anywhere on the coast is close to decent diving opportunities....

Bad news is your right, Did you try the South Padre Jetties?

Pretty disgusted with South Texas diving. I could have spent the winter in Florida instead :-(

Almost no shore diving and what there is is usually very low vis. Any good dives require a boat and are weather dependent (which sucks).

Can't wait to get back to Maine this summer. Water may be cold but pretty much anywhere on the coast is close to decent diving opportunities....

I'm not defending Texas diving or even Texas for that matter. However, if you chose a winter in South Texas over a winter in Florida, I don't think that is on Texas. It would have taken three minutes of google fu to know that FL diving would be drastically better and easier to get to. I gotta believe you came here for dollars or some other opportunity. At least own that decision. If you don't want whatever brought you here, or you aren't getting it, we're back to google fu. I'm a transplant that doesn't happen to love it here but I at least know what I'm getting out of it and why I make the decisions I do.

Did you somehow come here with the expectation of good shore diving?

A lot of oceanfront Florida (caves & springs being special) gives you the choice of a long swim out from a shoal beach, or booking dive boats. So in that sense, maybe not so different. Not like the Northeast, where there's often a much steeper descent off the beach. Of course, Florida divers don't get it when you say "Wow, great visibility! I could see my fins!"

Bad news is your right, Did you try the South Padre Jetties?

I did. My buddy had to hold onto my BC so he wouldn't lose me LOL. Could barely read my dive computer placed right up to my mask.

I'm not defending Texas diving or even Texas for that matter. However, if you chose a winter in South Texas over a winter in Florida, I don't think that is on Texas. It would have taken three minutes of google fu to know that FL diving would be drastically better and easier to get to. I gotta believe you came here for dollars or some other opportunity. At least own that decision. If you don't want whatever brought you here, or you aren't getting it, we're back to google fu. I'm a transplant that doesn't happen to love it here but I at least know what I'm getting out of it and why I make the decisions I do.

1: I live in an RV and Florida campgrounds (family friendly ones at least) are cost prohibitive.
2: miles of coastline so yeah, my expectation was to have at least SOME good (or even moderate) diving.

Guess I'm just used to Maine waters. Rocky coastline gives plenty of dive opportunity.

A lot of oceanfront Florida (caves & springs being special) gives you the choice of a long swim out from a shoal beach, or booking dive boats. So in that sense, maybe not so different. Not like the Northeast, where there's often a much steeper descent off the beach. Of course, Florida divers don't get it when you say "Wow, great visibility! I could see my fins!"

Where should I go for good winter shore diving then?

2: miles of coastline so yeah, my expectation was to have at least SOME good (or even moderate) diving.
You can't assume coastline = diving. Anywhere in the world. Too many things have to come together.

Back
Top Bottom