Discussion on cancer research drugs (Split from Rob Steward Court Case Thread)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sorry I found this thread. I comment on scuba related topics because I have knowledge, experience, and education to support what I am commenting on. Many of the comments in this thread demonstrate none of those attributes. I spent the first 15 years of my professional career as medical school faculty in my discipline. I spent the 2nd 15 years of my professional career at one one the top 3 pharmaceutical companies in the world. I have a pretty good idea of how pharmaceutical development fits into the bigger scheme of things.

Unless you are completely satisfied by the current therapeutic armamentarium available, you are in favor of continued drug development. The basic research to support this development is carried out by academic institutions, private companies, and the drug industry. Funding for this research comes from the government (NIH...), private investment, and the pharmaceutical industry. The final cost of turning a drug candidate into a marketed drug is astronomical, making major pharma one of the only sources of this activity. For every drug that finally makes it to market, there are many that die on the vine due to toxicity or lack of significant efficacy. The costs of all of these attempts must be included in the cost of business for these companies. Common businesses, including local diving services, go out of business every day because they cannot balance the books.

No business is perfect, many businesses are ripe for improvement. Generic companies that obtain the rights to necessary drugs and then raise the prices astronomically are to be detested and prohibited from this kind of practice. Some of drug development and marketing is not to the overall benefit to society, perhaps some opioid analgesics are an example. Orphan drugs for a small population is a difficult topic, not so much if a loved one is affected.

Take your time and be thoughtful before you comment on the topic of new drug development. It may be you or a loved one in need of an innovative new medication to prolong or improve your life, or cure you of a medical problem.

Very best and good diving, Craig

@scubadada Well said Craig. It's not a perfect industry, and yes there are some bad apples (Martin Shkreli), but it definitely doesn't deserve the scorn it receives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom