DIR: The Gathering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dsteding

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, we were kicking around the idea of a DIR get-together somewhere in the US at some point. Us Seattle types are willing to host something if we can get it together, I'd suggest Nanaimo or somewhere on Vancouver Island. Long weekend type trip, people fly/drive to Seattle or Vancouver, we can probably scrounge up tanks and stuff for out-of-towners.

Since it has been so quiet here lately, I figured I'd start a new thread to gauge interest. If you have interest, let me know what time of year works, we would probably need to plan this well in advance . . .

Why not just do it right here, Doug? We've got the San Juans, a Bandito charter in the Narrows or Dalco Wall, and more shore dives than you could possibly cover. I could host some folks at my place, and I'm sure others could too.

Could keep costs reasonable, and make more diving more accessible without that additional travel to BC.

Just a suggestion ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Stephen Ash:
Who's invited?

If you have to ask..... :)

I would be interested depending on the timing... I'll have to take some leave.... I would rather drive up so I can bring all my gear (doubles, lights, scooter) but if we only have a weekend it would be more practical to fly. Seattle or Vancouver would work for me...

NWGratefulDiver:
Why not just do it right here, Doug? We've got the San Juans, a Bandito charter in the Narrows or Dalco Wall, and more shore dives than you could possibly cover. I could host some folks at my place, and I'm sure others could too.

Could keep costs reasonable, and make more diving more accessible without that additional travel to BC.

Just a suggestion ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That's a damn good idea Bob. We could put people up in houses, get Bandito's boats involved, spend a day over in HC, do that type of thing. Makes logistics simpler for a bigger crew, makes things much cheaper as well . . .

Makes it a true weekend trip for most people as well, even from the East Coast you could do it over four days.

Thoughts anyone?

Ben_ca:
If you have to ask..... :)

I would be interested depending on the timing... I'll have to take some leave.... I would rather drive up so I can bring all my gear (doubles, lights, scooter) but if we only have a weekend it would be more practical to fly. Seattle or Vancouver would work for me...

I've done the SF to SEA drive in a day. If we stick around Seattle, you could do things over a Friday->Monday.

I have:
A set of lp85s and an AL80 or Al40 deco bottle to share.
3 or 4 other AL80 stages
Numerous single tanks (AL80s, LP95s, HP119s).

A boat for 4 divers (Tech1 or recreational)
If local a spare room with bath for 2 friends or couple (has 1 double bed), must tolerate a big hairy dog in house.

I do not have extra transportation, my truck only seats 2.

That said, I am fairly flexible on locations between Tacoma and Nanaimo. Sechelt is superb for all levels of divers and the campground is nice too - it has a group space available with reservations. I'd prefer to make this a late summer, low budget affair.

Sounds like a really good idea and I have family in the Seattle area that I can stay with. :)

Unfortunately for me, it probably won't happen this year. Between paying off my credit card, saving up for Cave 1, school, and getting ready to renew a couple IT/IS certifications; I'm strapped for cash and time and probably will be until atleast fall. :(

I'm in for next summer though. :D

rjack321:
I have:
A set of lp85s and an AL80 or Al40 deco bottle to share.
3 or 4 other AL80 stages
Numerous single tanks (AL80s, LP95s, HP119s).

A boat for 4 divers (Tech1 or recreational)
If local a spare room with bath for 2 friends or couple (has 1 double bed), must tolerate a big hairy dog in house.

I do not have extra transportation, my truck only seats 2.

That said, I am fairly flexible on locations between Tacoma and Nanaimo. Sechelt is superb for all levels of divers and the campground is nice too - it has a group space available with reservations. I'd prefer to make this a late summer, low budget affair.

Tuwanek point has a great wall that would be a good deep 140-170' dive.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom