DIR & rec diving, adding a pocket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capnsnott

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok,
I have done a bunch of reading, but still have a question.
I'm just doing a bunch of rec diving at this time, but want to incorporate some DIR ideas into my rigging.

How much is too much? I'm switching BCs and ninimizing my drag as much as possible. I want to still cary stuff, like a camera, spool, sausage, writing slate, flashlight..... at different times.

I like the idea of adding a pocket to my wet suit and forgoing some crap hanging off my BC, is this a good idea? If so, how would I add a pocket and where would I get it? Am I just plain nuts? OK forget that part. Am I being retentive, or is what I want possible?
thanks
Greg

I am sure others will add on some points here, but in regards to writing slate, I have gone away with this and moved on to Wetnotes, which you will keep in the pocket. much better!

You are not being retentive. What you propose to do will help streamline you.

It is possible to add a pocket to your wetsuit. I've seen it done. However, since I don't dive wet except for rescue classes and yearly trips to Grand Cayman, I haven't done it and dont know where to buy pockets or how to install them, except that it is better to have them permanently attached than to use the ones that strap to your leg.

I solved the problem by using a pocket that fits on the waist of my BP&W. It is used in place of the can light to secure the long hose. This works well because I don't use the can light in the Carribean anyway.

Incidentally, I would not try to put all that stuff in your pockets because it may not fit. I carry an extra mask, jump spool, safety sausage and bolt snap in my left pocket. I carry notes and an extra copy of my dive plan in my right. My backup lights are on my shoulder straps. I don't own a camera.

Adding a pocket is a great idea. In fact, you might want to add 2 of them-a flat pocket and a bellowed pocket-used for different things. Then you can get rid of the slate and use wetnotes. Removal of anything hanging is always a plus!

Spool gets clipped off. Sausage in backplate or in your pocket. Wetnotes in your pocket. Flashlight clipped off to your harness, or canister light on your belt.

Dr. Frankenmule:
Ok,
I have done a bunch of reading, but still have a question.
I'm just doing a bunch of rec diving at this time, but want to incorporate some DIR ideas into my rigging.

How much is too much? I'm switching BCs and ninimizing my drag as much as possible. I want to still cary stuff, like a camera, spool, sausage, writing slate, flashlight..... at different times.

I like the idea of adding a pocket to my wet suit and forgoing some crap hanging off my BC, is this a good idea? If so, how would I add a pocket and where would I get it? Am I just plain nuts? OK forget that part. Am I being retentive, or is what I want possible?
thanks
Greg

I think I'm in over my head trying to use some DIR ideas without taking the class. But I want to attempt to improve myself in the mean time.
I'll do a quick search on wetnotes, that's new to me.
thanks.
G

found the wetnotes info, is ther a good place to get them on line?
Where can I get the pockets at? I'm assuming the standart wetsuit glue will hold them on?

Dr. Frankenmule:
found the wetnotes info, is ther a good place to get them on line?
Where can I get the pockets at? I'm assuming the standart wetsuit glue will hold them on?

Try www.fifthd.com

Yes, the glue will do the trick.

detroit diver:
Spool gets clipped off.

DD, do you clip off all your spools outside of your pockets?

I clip my primary reel to my rig when I'm not using it. However, the jump spool I use with the liftbag gets clipped to the bungee on the inside of my left pocket and stowed in there until needed.

Do you do it differently?

Northeastwrecks:
DD, do you clip off all your spools outside of your pockets?

I clip my primary reel to my rig when I'm not using it. However, the jump spool I use with the liftbag gets clipped to the bungee on the inside of my left pocket and stowed in there until needed.

Do you do it differently?

Well, a little bit. I actually attach the small spool to the marker bag before I put it in my pocket. I don't cave dive, so I don't have another use for it normally. If I needed it, I can just take it off the bag.

Neither do I. However, I absolutely HATE having the spool clipped off to the butt D-ring, even though your method probably makes deploying the bag more efficient.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom