DIR & rec diving, adding a pocket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Northeastwrecks:
Neither do I. However, I absolutely HATE having the spool clipped off to the butt D-ring, even though your method probably makes deploying the bag more efficient.

It's not foolproof, but I like the way it works USUALLY!

Believe it or not, a LDS down the street from me sells the books (14.00) and pockets. They cater to Tech divers, so they even carry a full line of Halcion stuff.
thanks for the info.
Greg

PS here is a web page I found that shows this guys layout for his right pocket, I like the knotted rope idea. But I don't know jack about this stuff yet.
http://www.tue.org.uk/Right pocket.htm

Dr. Frankenmule:
Believe it or not, a LDS down the street from me sells the books (14.00) and pockets. They cater to Tech divers, so they even carry a full line of Halcion stuff.
thanks for the info.
Greg

PS here is a web page I found that shows this guys layout for his right pocket, I like the knotted rope idea. But I don't know jack about this stuff yet.
http://www.tue.org.uk/Right pocket.htm

I like the knotted rope idea, thanks!

You can get the books cheaper, but by the time you ship them they'll wind up being the same cost.

edit: If you ever want a bunch of the wetnotes, check out these guys for prices: http://www.boatfix.com/elec/comp.asp

hiya i have the halycon bp comes with a storage pack that goes behind your back attached to the backplate, have a look at the halycon website. It is good for putting stuff you may need but don't use every dive likesafety sausage snorkel spare spool. Can't even notice they are there.
Then you can keep the stuff you use every dive in the easy access thigh pocket like wet notes shears wistle etc.

Dr. Frankenmule:
Flatirons?

Roak

Northeastwrecks:
Neither do I. However, I absolutely HATE having the spool clipped off to the butt D-ring, even though your method probably makes deploying the bag more efficient.

I used to have my jump reel clipped to my butt D-ring; however, I have moved it to my hip D-ring. I've almost set my tank on the reel a few times. I don't like the reel dangling from my hip. Unless I have a pocket, the hip D-ring seems to be the best place for it.

I use Xshorts and I'm more than satisfied.
Common items in the right pocket like spool and marker bag.
Not so common in the left extra spool,sissors and mirror.
I used to use the Halcyon belt mounted pocket but these shorts are the real deal.
mech

Dr. Frankenmule:
I think I'm in over my head trying to use some DIR ideas without taking the class. But I want to attempt to improve myself in the mean time.
I'll do a quick search on wetnotes, that's new to me.
thanks.
G

I don't think it's a matter of being in over your head ... I've borrowed quite a lot of DIR ideas without taking the class. Adapting your gear for streamlining is a good idea whether you take the class or not. Getting rid of the console and going with wrist gauges makes a lot of sense. Choosing fins that improve your maneuverability might take some getting used to (it did for me), but it's very satisfying to be able to "finesse" your way around objects.

But don't just focus on gear changes. Some of the most important "improvements" come with learning how to manage your gas and be a good dive buddy.

If you have the opportunity, dive with some DIR buddies ... you may decide it's what you're looking for or not, but either way you should come away with some different perspectives.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

maccajim:
hiya i have the halycon bp comes with a storage pack that goes behind your back attached to the backplate, have a look at the halycon website. It is good for putting stuff you may need but don't use every dive likesafety sausage snorkel spare spool. Can't even notice they are there.
Then you can keep the stuff you use every dive in the easy access thigh pocket like wet notes shears wistle etc.
You stick a SPOOL in a Halcyon MC storage pack? How does that work without being a massive lump in your back?

Roak,
Yup, Flatirons.
Good prices from what I have been able to find, they are better or comparable to DIR/Tech on line sellers. Rob is cool too, in fact all of the crew is.

I understand being a good dive buddy. I dive with my dad or brother, we have been together so much that we can communicate without having to stop and think about what the other is trying to say. We dive safe, by the plan and stay close to each other. I'm trying to implement more of the DIR buddy rules, but it's hard sometimes.

G

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom