DIR & rec diving, adding a pocket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo:
You stick a SPOOL in a Halcyon MC storage pack? How does that work without being a massive lump in your back?

I was wondering the same thing.

The "preloaded bag" in a pocket is a great tip. During a recent Tech 1 class here, Andrew G took it two steps further...he used a tiny little sausage and just blew into it to inflate. Instant upline in mere seconds.

Try finding wetnotes in your local boating store. Dive shops really jack the price on these books. They were made for boaters in the first place, so shop where the boaters do and save some cash.

Wetnotes were $8.00 at boaters world last time I checked.

Coo's Toe:
Try finding wetnotes in your local boating store. Dive shops really jack the price on these books. They were made for boaters in the first place, so shop where the boaters do and save some cash.

Wetnotes were $8.00 at boaters world last time I checked.
Yes, you beat me to it! Boater's World or West Marine sell Wet Notes for far less than your LDS. You can then rig them up with cave line and a bolt snap yourself.

Also, don't waste your time with the included pencil. It will warp and break after a few dives. I use a plastic mechanical pencil in mine. Michaels art supply also has solid graphite sticks, though I've only read about them myself.

Lastly, the X-Shorts look like the way to go for wetsuit diving with pockets. I am planning on buying a pair for both my wife and I before our next warm water trip. I found it quite annoying not having pockets on my 3 mil while in Boniare. I had no place to stow the underwater fish ID books!

Jimmie

Just to toss my $0.02 in...

I ordered a couple bellows pockets from FifthD and they showed up today. They are rather big and have velco running along the sides in the "bellow" so they stay flat if the pocket isn't full. $30 each, not bad, but they do have the 5thD logo on them.

Rachel

biscuit7:

I ordered a couple bellows pockets from FifthD and they showed up today. They are rather big and have velco running along the sides in the "bellow" so they stay flat if the pocket isn't full. $30 each, not bad, but they do have the 5thD logo on them.

Rachel
Interesting...I got mine in Dec and no logo, no side velcro.

biscuit7:

Rachel
Mine also came with a logo. I called them up and asked if they still had any without logos. They said yes so I sent mine back for a replacement.

FYI everyone - I'm out of stock, but I'm working on a new order of wetnotes. I sell them shipped to your door for just a touch under $9. (See the "Spring Straps" link)

I'm actually incorporating suggestions from customers who've bought them in the past - the best one I've got so far means I'm trying to print the 5 minute neurological exam on the inside back cover. I'd put some tables in too, but every agency uses a different table.

Oxychek has bellows pockets that attach to your waist strap (dir rigging) and then velcroe around your leg. An easy way to add a pocket without glueing it on.

Wet notes - aren't these the same waterproof paper note pads that you can get at any surveying supply store? Much cheaper there. That's where i got mine. I also picked up a nice little bound notebook with the paper for logging dives only $12.

jason

Boogie711, thanks for the info. I would buy a couple if you had them . I like your additions to it too.

Biscuit7, how big are the bellows pockets, 5d doesn't give a size. It looks like the large pocket Halcyon sells. That's a great price at any rate, what was shipping?

Jason, Are you talking about the hard bound books? Or do they have different ones now. I'm a Geologist and have used the hard bound ones for years, they have cardboard inside the bindings I think. Mine is a Lietz "Engineers Field Book"
I just grabbed one off the shelf and tore a page out. It worked fine under water using a Normal #2 pencil. The paper did not hold water and did not tear. After about two minutes, it's almost completely dry. In fact I can wipe the water droplets off it.
If these are sold with a different cover, these would be the best. There are several hundred pages in each book. It's about 1/2" thick, 4 1/2"x7 1/4". This one came from a Surveyors Supply store.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom