DIR question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

qsacha

Reaction score
I’ve been reading your group’s forum since I signed up on scuba board (my location is Philadelphia, but I travel to DC and S. Maryland a couple times a month.)

My question is regarding DIR and it seems like you guys are the best to ask. I am newly certified (last November and plan on going further this summer w/educ.), and I am interested in DIR. Since this winter has afforded me lots of snow days and free time, I’ve researched it enough to know that I’m a little on the “green” side to take any classes (ok…a lot ), but also enough to know that it’s something I would be interested in.

So, I guess my question is wouldn’t it be a good idea to start diving DIR from the beginning from safety and gear config standpoint? Or is it something that just has to be done after obtaining a certain level of experience?

Thanks Guys

ps. In case anyone's interested, I actually have a pretty funny story about how an instructor in TN answered my questions re DIR

qsacha once bubbled...
I’ve been reading your group’s forum since I signed up on scuba board (my location is Philadelphia, but I travel to DC and S. Maryland a couple times a month.)

My question is regarding DIR and it seems like you guys are the best to ask. I am newly certified (last November and plan on going further this summer w/educ.), and I am interested in DIR. Since this winter has afforded me lots of snow days and free time, I’ve researched it enough to know that I’m a little on the “green” side to take any classes (ok…a lot ), but also enough to know that it’s something I would be interested in.

So, I guess my question is wouldn’t it be a good idea to start diving DIR from the beginning from safety and gear config standpoint? Or is it something that just has to be done after obtaining a certain level of experience?

Thanks Guys

ps. In case anyone's interested, I actually have a pretty funny story about how an instructor in TN answered my questions re DIR

If i had to do it all over again i would dive DIR right from the start.Why would you want to buy two sets of equipment and then try to break all of your bad habits you have developed.Buy the right gear the first time and break the bad habits early.I didnt learn of DIR until i had been diving for a while and had to buy another set of gear and break all of my bad habits.I will admit since diving DIR i feel like a much more competent diver especailly in the trim and buoyancy department.I am no expert in DIR but am still learning.i will hopefully take a DIR fundamentals class when one is offered in my area and i feel a little more competent in my skills so that i will pass.Dir fundamentals is now a pass or fail class.You must pass it to move on to other classes such as tech1 so it would be wise to practice up a bit or take it twice if thats an option.

Lets hear your story about the instructor on DIR.I have taken a lot of flak since i have gone over to the dark side.:D

I would totally start now. Get a bp/wing, long hose, etc. (the board can help you with that stuff and you can dive with us to get it rigged and tested out properly) now and just start that way. Nobody can be too green and it makes total sense if you are looking down that path later to get gear, develop a team, and work on your fundamental skills now so you don't avoid unnecessary expense and relearning later.

Feel free to ask away here or PM me or anyone else with questions. Welcome to the board and you are also more than welcome to dive with us anytime.

lal7176 once bubbled...

.I have taken a lot of flak since i have gone over to the dark side.:D

It's much funnier to tell in person, but here goes

it was a business thing....we were on a video conference. During the downtime one of my co workers started talking about diving and this guy said he was an instructor. I asked him if he had ever heard of DIR and some other basic questions...his answer was, and I quote " Honey (insert drawl here) all you have to worry about is keeping the regulator in your mouth, and looking good in a bikini"

I never laughed so hard in life, I had to leave the room. He went on to say the usual bad stuff about DIR, although I'm not quite sure if he really knew what it was.

Needless to say we figured it would be a good idea to have only male sales people deal with him from there......hahaha

O-ring once bubbled...
I would totally start now. Get a bp/wing, long hose, etc. (the board can help you with that stuff and you can dive with us to get it rigged and tested out properly)

I'm definately going to need some equipment help...lol

qsacha once bubbled...
O-ring once bubbled...
I would totally start now. Get a bp/wing, long hose, etc. (the board can help you with that stuff and you can dive with us to get it rigged and tested out properly)

I'm definately going to need some equipment help...lol
...either PM me or someone else or we can start talking about it here and figure it out from there. There are a lot of options out there and I am sure we can figure out what makes the most sense for you. Where shall we start? :)

qsacha once bubbled...

It's much funnier to tell in person, but here goes

it was a business thing....we were on a video conference. During the downtime one of my co workers started talking about diving and this guy said he was an instructor. I asked him if he had ever heard of DIR and some other basic questions...his answer was, and I quote " Honey (insert drawl here) all you have to worry about is keeping the regulator in your mouth, and looking good in a bikini"

I never laughed so hard in life, I had to leave the room. He went on to say the usual bad stuff about DIR, although I'm not quite sure if he really knew what it was.

Needless to say we figured it would be a good idea to have only male sales people deal with him from there......hahaha

Thats about the typical response to DIR from someone who knows nothing about it or feels threatened by DIR as it may show how weak their diving skills really are.As mentioned earlier feel free to ask any questions and many of us can even provide pictures of our gear if needed.

By the way, welcome to the darkside and be careful not to awaken any of the DIR haters on the board:D

qsacha

Welcome to the dark side!! As a felloe female diver, please feel free to PM me with any questions. good luck, and most of all, HAVE FUN!

Chiquita

Contact PA/NJdiver on the board. She lives 30 minutes north of Philly. She has GUE training. She has the gear to show you to get a good start. If your anxious to get started :)Like if you have time on sunday PM her she might be able to meet you to get started:) If you want to dive the gear I am sure she can probably fit you up with a B/P and wings to give it a try. Good luck with your dive training.
Oring, FYI PA/NJdiver had dinner with Erik Baker a couple of weeks ago:):)
Ken

In addition, there are some of us who are considering meeting in April up at Dutch Springs. At least some of us dive a DIR configuration and espouse their system.

At my LDS, we've incorporated many aspects of DIR into our teaching philosophy. Our students are doing well with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom