DIR Fundamentals Course/Hose Length

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just finished it and it was really awesome. Worth the price for sure. I did it in a 3 day format, friday - lecture & gear, Saturday - dives 1 & 2 with video replay & small lecture, Sunday - dives 3 & 4 with video replay.

Like everyone else has said, your diving doesnt' get better that weekend, but they show you how to improve with a little practice. I like thinking of it as a blueprint on becoming a better diver and improving your skill level. Almost everyone has something to improve and the video shows you exactly what and how.

minnediver:
I just finished it and it was really awesome. Worth the price for sure. I did it in a 3 day format, friday - lecture & gear, Saturday - dives 1 & 2 with video replay & small lecture, Sunday - dives 3 & 4 with video replay.

Like everyone else has said, your diving doesnt' get better that weekend, but they show you how to improve with a little practice. I like thinking of it as a blueprint on becoming a better diver and improving your skill level. Almost everyone has something to improve and the video shows you exactly what and how.
Hi minnediver,

I see that this is your 3rd post.

Welcome to ScubaBoard!

Don't forget to fill out your profile, so that we can add context to your future posts. Also, once we know where you are geographically, you may find that you'll have a whole bunch of new dive buddies to choose from.

Congrats on just finishing your DIR-F! I plan on taking the class in the near future.

Tell us who you took the class from and where you took it.

In fact, you may want to post a DIR-F report here in the DIR forum.

Dive safe!

Christian

1.) Yes
2.) More or less as already posted but...I'll add...it really depends on your set-up (single or double) and your own "personal dimensions". Some people need another inch or two on this hose or that hose to reach correctly. If you look at the posts on a single vs double you will see that the spacing adds/subtracts a few inches. My recommendation would be to find a buddy or shop who can help you in YOUR set-up to get the hoses the correct lenght for your specific gear and body.

1. I found the class very helpful. While it did not actually "improve" my diving much that weekend, I learned what I needed to work on and how to do it properly. The exercises with lift bags and safety drills were a lot of help. I an not now nor ever will go totally DIR but the experience was worth the cost.

2 As for hoses, I would suggest (what I did) is to just use your existing hoses with the exception of the primary hose. I changed mine to a 5ft. I will never use doubles or a large light so I just did not need a 7ft. The 5fter is still on my regs. After the class, you can decide for yourself what works for you.

I'm not sure I agree with herman about point 2. I think you can keep your HP hose, and your bp/wing should come with a proper length inflator, but using a way too long backup hose really gets in the way and messes things up. Get the long primary and short backup reg hoses, and preferably the shorter HP hose as well.

If I get a 7' BC inflator hose can I use my air2 as my primary second stage, and bungee my s600 and still be DIR? I could still operate the inflator even though its in the OOA guys mouth.

Well, sure, but where are you going to find a 7' corrugated hose? Be sure to go to Home Depot to get the 7' cable for the pull dump, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom