DIR Fundamentals Course/Hose Length

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zhenqing

Registered
Reaction score
This is a compound question:

1) Did those of you who have taken the DIR Fundamentals Course found it to be worth the expense/time/energy. Did it meet or exceed your expectations and significantly improve your diving?

2) What is the recommended length for each of the air hoses (primary, secondary, SPG, and inflator)?

1) Absolutely worth it. The class was only two days really, so it didn't drastically improve my diving. It did teach me how to improve my diving by setting a goal and showing me the skills I need to have.

2) 7' primary, 22" backup, 24" SPG, and I think 22" for the inflator.

Even if you have been diving for many years and are an instructor or higher, this is a course everyone should take. While I am not totally DIR, I still got knowledge from taking the class.

Then again, I have always learned something from every class I have either taken or taught. Guess that's why I am never bored with diving.

Definitely worth it.

It confirmed that I was headed in the correct direction with my diving--compliments of ckharlan66.
When I do teach, I incorporate much of what I learned there into my classes. My primary reason for taking the class was to see what was being presented and how it was being presented. As noted by ScubaDadMiami--you can learn something from every clas you take.

Zhenqing:
1) Did those of you who have taken the DIR Fundamentals Course found it to be worth the expense/time/energy. Did it meet or exceed your expectations and significantly improve your diving?
Yes, it was worth it. The class itself did not improve my diving so much as actually practicing what I was taught. It sure has made diving more relaxed and as a result - more fun.

Zhenqing:
Did those of you who have taken the DIR Fundamentals Course found it to be worth the expense/time/energy.

Yes, certainly. So much so that I plan to take it again.

Zhenqing:
Did it meet or exceed your expectations

Not really ... but that's less due to the course content than the way it gets talked up on the Internet. Frankly, I don't think any week-end class can meet the expectations set by some people who talk about it on boards such as this one.

Zhenqing:
and significantly improve your diving?

In an indirect manner, yes. The DIR-F class will show you where you weaknesses are ... and depending on the person it will either motivate you to get out and put some serious effort into improving your skills, or it will motivate you to sell your gear and take up golf.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

1) Definitely worth it. From the two GUE instructors I have experience with, I've found that they are good at tayloring the course to the objective and diving aspirations of each student. Be honest with your goals for SCUBA. It will be an intense class... but if you are a new diver it will be a different kind of intense than someone who aspires to do technical dives, or is doing technical dives.
My biggest suggestions to you, try to find a 3 day class and go there will an open mind.

Is "on the table" one step up from the under the bus?

Zhenqing:
This is a compound question:

I thought that price was right, but I didn't get out of it what I thought I would. I don't think it effected my inwater skills much, and my team had little dificulty actualy acomplishing the tasks. Breazing though most of it with only small issues like trying to shoot a limp sausage a few times.

What it mostly did for me was the out of the water stuff. How to select equipment that makes it esier instead of more dificult. How to plan a dive in a quick and highly effective manner. Planning I was sort of doing was painfull and drawn out, DIR made quick, easy and effortless.

Did it significantly improve my diveing, no.

Did it significantly raise my awareness, planning and fun level, YES!

cornfed:
Is "on the table" one step up from the under the bus?
Yup.

Bob Sherwood seems to keep telling me to get on the table to fix my body position or illustrate something that keeps me in an uncomfortable position for a loooong time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom