DIR Dry Suit Pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MAK52580

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know that DIR calls for one bellows pocket on the left side and one flat pocket on the right side. I was wondering, what would be the disadvantage to having two bellows pockets, one on each side?

I know that one possible con would be that it increases drag, however according to George and Jarrod, this is not exactly true since the pockets are located where they are to begin with as they are already in the slipstream created by your shoulders as you swim through the water.

The other is that you want to be able to have your Wetnotes and deco tables at hand quickly. However, if they are on bungee cord and are the last thing you put into the pocket, they would be readily accessible anyways.

Would it still be "DIR" if you had two bellows pockets? Just looking to get opinions/theories.

I did Dirf last month and my instructor said not to get the flat pocket just get 2 bellows as can fit more stuff and are just as streamlined anyway. He had 2 bellows on his drysuit.

I guess since it seems to be pretty acceptable to have two bellows pockets, i guess the second question would be... velcro or zippered? I have heard pros and cons of both. I usually dive with thick gloves. I would think velcro is easier to access, and if everything is clipped in anyways then I wouldn't have to worry about things falling out if the velcro were to come undone right? Thoughts?

MAK52580:
I guess since it seems to be pretty acceptable to have two bellows pockets, i guess the second question would be... velcro or zippered? I have heard pros and cons of both. I usually dive with thick gloves. I would think velcro is easier to access, and if everything is clipped in anyways then I wouldn't have to worry about things falling out if the velcro were to come undone right? Thoughts?

Definitely velcro. Zippers can be a right royal pain. Particularly with thick gloves. I have everything clipped in... be even then I don't think my pockets have every come undone. More likely to forget them open than to have them open accidentally. ;-)

The option of cutting open a pocket with a stuck zipper doesn't make any sense at all. Just go with the velcro closure and you won't ever have to worry about cutting open the pocket... and possibly your suit in the process!

And yes... bellows on both sides.

The option of cutting open a pocket with a stuck zipper which contains an item/items you MUST have makes sense. Velcro closure pockets will eliminate this problem.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom