Din or Yoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mel78

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well I'm about to go and start buying my gear...I'm stuck on whether I should go DIN or Yoke and do most regs come with a converter? CONFUSED!!!! .... I know there have been previous posts on here about this, I just want a simplified version as I am just starting out. I live in Australia with planned dives to Fiji at Christmas and Thailand in June. Thanks in advance!

Well, I would consider what tanks are most likely to be available at your most frequented locations. Yoke is by far the most popular. But DIN is a much more trouble free connection. My rec regs are yoke because you can find tanks anywhere at any dive location. However, I do have the DIN convertor for my rec regs. So that may be something you might consider is buying a rec reg that is easily converted to DIN. Mine is a Zeagle flathead 1st with an Apeks 2nd. They have served me faithfully for 12 years now. My more serious regs are DIN. Bruce

With a DIN reg and a yoke adapter you can use any tank anywhere. The only down side is the extra length with the adapter and some people say they hit their head on the reg when they put their head back. If you position your tank lower, it won't happen. It only adds an inch or two.

If you ever get into tech you will want DIN anyway. I don't know why people still buy yoke regs and k-valves.

With a DIN reg and a yoke adapter you can use any tank anywhere. The only down side is the extra length with the adapter and some people say they hit their head on the reg when they put their head back. If you position your tank lower, it won't happen. It only adds an inch or two.

If you ever get into tech you will want DIN anyway. I don't know why people still buy yoke regs and k-valves.

What he said. DIN + adapter. Many travel destinations have at least a few tanks that have "convertible" valves ... Stick an Allen key in, unscrew the centre bit, and voila... DIN it is.

It's just a better, more secure (and therefore safer) regulator.

I'm not sure the situation up in QLD, but in NSW, every shop has DIN tanks available. Sometimes it helps to call ahead so they can have it ready. I haven't had a problem yet and I've used only din regs.

I always recommend to buy DIN with a converter. In this way you have the best of both worlds. And I also recommend 300BAR which most DIN regs are anyway but in this way you can use 300 BAR DIN tanks, 232 BAR DIN tanks, or 232 BAR K valve tanks. You have all options covered and if you step into tech diving some time in the future you are already half way there with a 300BAR DIN reg. Future proof yourself.

If you are like I was, no way I am going into tech, well here I am some 6 years later tech. I had to buy 6 DIN adapters to change all my K valve regs to DIN permanently at $75 each. Had I future proofed myself earlier, I would have saved $450. I also had to sell all my K valve tanks and buy DIN. Once again if I had my first reg set as DIN, I would have only purchased DIN tanks, more saving there.

I have found that most dive centres these days have DIN tanks. On the occasional time they don't, well you have a converter to get you through.

I'm not sure the situation up in QLD, but in NSW, every shop has DIN tanks available. Sometimes it helps to call ahead so they can have it ready. I haven't had a problem yet and I've used only din regs.

Yep, most of the dive shops are DIN here as well but was starting to get confused with what you read, all the info is awesome and thankyou so much...

Like most of the folks who commented here, I'd go with the DIN approach, carrying an adapter as well. The benefits are several - DIN is used by the tech community as it allows the use of 300 Bar as opposed to 230 (ish!) - hence more bottom time, plus the location of the 'O' ring renders it far less prone to damage/loss than the surface-mounted 'O' ring on yoke-based tanks. I purchased yoke-type when I started, but very quickly converted to DIN and haven't looked back since.

1. DIN converts to yoke. Yoke doesn't convert to DIN.

With one of these:
DIN-to-Yoke-Adapter.jpg

2. It is increasingly common for (good) dive operations to supply DIN/Yoke convertible tank valves:

Like this:
OMS-Din-to-Yoke-Adapter-V115.jpg

3. DIN is universally considered a 'more secure' valve - as the o-ring is protected and the assembly is less liable to dislodge if knocked etc.

vdin.jpg

My personal choice is for DIN. It's less bulky, more secure and I've never experienced significant troubles when travelling with them. They also grow with you, should you venture into technical/cave/wreck diving - where they are pretty much mandatory. Just always contact potential dive centers in advance to confirm they have DIN valves and/or take some adapters along just in case...

Last edited:
3. DIN is universally considered a 'more secure' valve - as the o-ring is protected and the assembly is less liable to dislodge if knocked etc.
Right?

Back
Top Bottom