Din or Yoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yokes are rated at around 232 BAR and given HP DIN is 300 BAR perhaps not the best idea to use these converters with a 300 BAR tank.

That is not really the issue with modern yokes. The issue is the robustness of the adapter. Attach a regulator and then accidentally bang it on something and one might find something like their regulator embedded in the back of their head. And by the time they realize it, what gas in their cylinder might be gone.

That said some of the old yokes do have a service limit.

Oh forgot that its probably only 5 thread so wont fully seat on the 300 BAR valve anyway.

In correct, these filling adapters have 7 threads and seat on 300 bar valves.

I will ask ahead and make the necessary adjustment before flying out.
Adapter is too long and add extra weight to my check-in. I would rather pack extra two T-shirts if I am still within the allowance.
A-clamp is the most common form in SE-Asia but DIN is my preferred choice.

I'm going to buck the trend and not automatically recommend DIN. I would answer that it depends on what type of diving you plan on doing most often.

Most rentals are going to be Yoke. The vast majority of tank connections you will encounter either renting locally or on vacation therefore are Yoke not DIN. If you have a DIN connection you will need to have the Yoke converter and as others have said it may be awkward as it pushes up the valve towards your head.

A DIN regulator connection is better for high pressure steel tanks. If you already know that you will do a lot of local diving and are going to purchase all of your gear including a high pressure steel tank then go DIN. Many of the newer low pressure steel tanks use a universal valve that can handle either connection.

I dive Yoke since I usually rent my tanks even locally and living in the US encounter Yoke connections almost exclusively. For the few times I've been to the Caribbean and Mexico they had Yoke connections as well. And as far as the O ring I have some in a save a dive kit just in case.

I would have you consider your own diving preferences and choose according to what type of connection makes the most sense for you.

Im just new too and I got the din with a converter, only had to use the converter twice so far. I like the security that it seems with seating the din as opposed to the yoke.

I'm going to buck the trend and not automatically recommend DIN. I would answer that it depends on what type of diving you plan on doing most often.

Most rentals are going to be Yoke. The vast majority of tank connections you will encounter either renting locally or on vacation therefore are Yoke not DIN. If you have a DIN connection you will need to have the Yoke converter and as others have said it may be awkward as it pushes up the valve towards your head.

A DIN regulator connection is better for high pressure steel tanks. If you already know that you will do a lot of local diving and are going to purchase all of your gear including a high pressure steel tank then go DIN. Many of the newer low pressure steel tanks use a universal valve that can handle either connection.

I dive Yoke since I usually rent my tanks even locally and living in the US encounter Yoke connections almost exclusively. For the few times I've been to the Caribbean and Mexico they had Yoke connections as well. And as far as the O ring I have some in a save a dive kit just in case.

I would have you consider your own diving preferences and choose according to what type of connection makes the most sense for you.

I think you may find that the "near exclusively yoke" is a USA thing, as I have dived all over the Pacific and middle Europe and there is in virtually every case, a good mix of both yoke and DIN. More so now LDS are going to the DIN with insert valve as it suits both purposes. I suspect all new cylinders now come with the DIN valve with insert, which makes it easier for the cylinder manufacturers as they then only stock one valve type for anywhere in the world (the only issue for them then being cylinder neck thread).

I have never had an issue with using DIN in Australia or overseas, although I do take a yoke converter just in case. I think the future of diving is heading towards DIN valves with insert thus the future is DIN for the rest of the world and most probably penetrating the US market more and more.

I agree each of us have to make a choice, however when new, its hard to know what to get as one has little or no experience on the subject.

Great thread. Good to see a lot of support for DIN. Yoke needs to go down the same road as stabilizer jackets, to a far away place.
The adapter for din to yoke can be a "head banger" pun intended, but is not 1-2" I would say less depending on the adapter and may not be as much of an issue if you are a stabby jacket diver because in that case you will probably be out of trim and have the tank so far south that the valve won't hit your head (unless an exit in some big surf or sloppy giant strides and get the surge in the arse, hence go for BP/W and crotch strap then non-issue). I ride my singles high and depend on the crotch strap to keep my head safe, that way I (personally) am in a lot better trim. Life would definitely be easier if the yokes were left for the cattle (boats), ouch did I say that :bandit:

Back
Top Bottom