Din or Yoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DINs are superior also for diving in and around kelp.

My reg is DIN and when I travel to a yoke-only location, I just change over the first stage. Takes less than five minutes, including looking for my tools (Only need a 1/4" Allen wrench and an adjustable wrench).

I agree

rather than a messy adapter just buy another yoke reg for those places like Bonaire that are still in the middle ages.

plenty of unwanted yoke regs about- my last one cost $10.00

+1 for DIN - I started off with a yoke and had or witnessed a number of dislodged O rings or failures under pressure, including one that blew at 20 metres (66 foot) on a dive.

So I have converted all mine to DIN and only have and use DIN now unless I have no choice.

All the Dive Centres I use have steel tanks with inserts so I carry an allen key and can remove the insert to use DIN on all the tanks. I also carry a DIN to yoke adaptor just in case there is a tank issue, but that hasn't happened once in the last three years of regular diving. - P

I have found that most dive centres these days have DIN tanks. On the occasional time they don't, well you have a converter to get you through.

On the other hand, I have NEVER run into an operator that had an adapter. I guess I need to find a better class of dive shop! Regardless, I wouldn't assume they have them. Get your own and you'll never be stranded...

S

Over here, in Euroland, DIN or yoke just isn't an issue. I don't think I've seen anything but DIN. At least not in active use. And the standard tank for the occasional diver, particularly if you buy new, is 10L 300 bar, which basically makes DIN mandatory.

D i n ! !

+1 for DIN

When i started diving, yoke was the standard. So a number of my older first stages are still yoke.

More recent regs are DIN, because it is safer and allows for 300bar

Whenever I went abroad using either or was not an issue. Most of the time when using DIN, by having the inlets removed from the valve (no dive op ever had a problem with this), however, if you have concerns on this you might take a DIN-to-yoke along with you (as already mentioned by others)

If you're even counting anymore:

yet another DIN vote

Din has its advantages, start up cost and availability are not necessarily one(s?) of them. Have the money? DIN is not a bad investment, if you don't you will get plenty of utility out of yoke.

Another vote for DIN + converter. Where I live the cost of a DIN or Yoke is exactly the same. I don't know why shops would make someone pay more for DIN.

If you go Tech, you are going to hemorrhage money anyway....

Especially if you start out buying the wrong stuff to start with :wink:

R..

Another vote for DIN + converter. Where I live the cost of a DIN or Yoke is exactly the same. I don't know why shops would make someone pay more for DIN.

Especially if you start out buying the wrong stuff to start with :wink:

R..

Yes for sure Diver0001, I don't mind spending the money but I want to make sure I get it right the first time and being very new to diving can get very overwhelming and information overload at time....

THANKS TO EVERYONE for your responses!!!!

Unless someone can tell me otherwise, and I am open minded, this image is of a "for filling of tanks only" chunk of metal/adapter.
Every one of those things that I have seen, is stamped, "for filling of tanks only".
I would love to have one of them for diving use, as I have several DIN 300 BAR valved tanks, and would love that I might readily loan my friends that are "Yokels", these tanks.

Chug
Adaptive diver.

I am assuming you are saying this tongue in cheek?

Yokes are rated at around 232 BAR and given HP DIN is 300 BAR perhaps not the best idea to use these converters with a 300 BAR tank.

Oh forgot that its probably only 5 thread so wont fully seat on the 300 BAR valve anyway.

And I haven't seen that a DIN regulator costs anymore than a Yoke anyway? What is available in Australia is about the same cost (I think?) so cost would not be a real issue here

Back
Top Bottom