Converting Mk5 or Mk10 to DIN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mr_v

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Howdy folks,

My vintage questions continues. I see lots of potentially good Mk5 and Mk10 on eBay, but I need DIN and not Yoke. What should I know about converting these regs to DIN? Is it as simple as getting a modern SP DIN converter/adapter?

Thank you!

Send me your first few yokes when you do!

(I'd like to convert my DIN's to yokes occasionally for tropical diving)

mk5 can be done with some DIY if you really prefer it over the mk10. need to add some washers.

mk10 is much more straightforward with the universal SP kit

At one time SP made a DIN conversion kit specifically for the Mk5. I have one on my Mk5, but I bought it decades ago. They are very rare.

I'm trying to change my MK25 yoke to din. Seems pretty straightforward based on a few YouTube videos. Do I need anything else besides the converter kit? Is there any need for O2 grease on the O rings? Or should I take it to my LDS and let them do it?

I'm trying to change my MK25 yoke to din. Seems pretty straightforward based on a few YouTube videos. Do I need anything else besides the converter kit? Is there any need for O2 grease on the O rings? Or should I take it to my LDS and let them do it?
you could if you have the socket to fit into the yoke are do it yourself ( you will need a breaker bar or a threaded bar to hold the reg as it does sometimes require force.. ) get the kit on ebay for like 44 dollars and pop off the yoke and then with some hex keys tighten in the DIN and you are done... done it to over 20 first stages personally ... no need to pay unless you are not comfortable doing the work yourself.
I would recommend some lube on the two o rings and threads (very little)

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 21
You might not need the socket to remove the yoke nut; it actually depends on the curvature of the yoke itself. Sometimes you can get a big adjustable wrench to grab the yoke nut and break it loose. I’ve even used a vise in a pinch to grab the nut and slipped a PVC pipe over the body of the reg to use as leverage. But the correct socket is a better idea. And this only works for removing it, you really want to socket for re-installation of the yoke nut, if you plan on doing that.

You use a 6mm hex wrench to tighten the DIN retainer, on the newer SP kits there is a smaller 4mm fitting which removes the filter retainer. Obviously don’t tighten that one very tight. The thing is, you really should set the retainer to the right torque setting, or at least get pretty close, and to do that you need a long hex socket and a torque wrench.

You don’t need to lubricate the two o-rings, you could put a bit of PTFE grease on the 011 that seals the retainer in the body but it’s not important. Most people don’t bother lubing the exterior o-ring.

Back
Top Bottom