DIN or Yoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to throw some more info in: I have dived this year in Italy and in Greece, and my husband has been diving in Sweeden. In the three places we had yokes, no DINs... I guess DIN is not yet a standard in all Europe.

-- Itziar

lal7176 once bubbled...
I originally bought my Apeks reg in the yoke version and later converted them to DIN. Lucky for me Apeks are easy to change between yoke and DIN so i can go either way but DIN is my primary use as are my tanks.
Does this mean that I can convert my Apeks to DIN? Not that I need to as most tanks are set for yoke in asia. but for the future when I buy more for the twins and stage bottles.

blackice once bubbled...
Does this mean that I can convert my Apeks to DIN? Not that I need to as most tanks are set for yoke in asia. but for the future when I buy more for the twins and stage bottles.

Eye it does.:)

All you have to do is unscrew the yoke adaptor (hexagonal screw located in the middle of the yoke) and screw in place the DIN bits. If its not all siezed it takes about 2 minutes in total.

Apeks used to sell a Yoke - Din conversion kit, and I'm sure they still do.

HTH

Jon T

PS when you change, it is more convenient to then buy a DIN-Yoke converter, which is basically a yoke that screws onto the DIN threads (rather than taking the first stage appart again)

turnerjd once bubbled...

PS when you change, it is more convenient to then buy a DIN-Yoke converter, which is basically a yoke that screws onto the DIN threads (rather than taking the first stage appart again)

But this is the piece that extends the connection a bit & can lead to whacking the back of your head on the tank, right? I haven't tried one of these, but seems that keeps coming up in these threads.

Jim

GoBlue! once bubbled...

But this is the piece that extends the connection a bit & can lead to whacking the back of your head on the tank, right? I haven't tried one of these, but seems that keeps coming up in these threads.

Jim

Yeah it can....

I use an APEKS DST first stage (the one with a swivel). To avoid having it hit me in the back of the head when I use the adaptor, I turn the tank round slightly (only 15-30 degrees), so that the first stage is slightly to one side. Then, the swivel turns and the hoses come out like they are supposed to.

No discomfort - no problems

Jon T

Using the tank adaptor on the DIN can definitely be a little uncomfortable with the extra length it adds behind the back of the head.

For a couple of dives, it's no big thing. However, if I'm going to be on vacation (etc.) for a week or more where they don't have DIN tanks, I switch my 1st stage to yoke before I leave. Then when I get home I switch back.

Just makes it a bit easier on the old noggin. :wink:

i'm not an experience diver but pretty much in Thailand we used yoke. Cuz our water is FINE 30c some degree all year round

Back
Top Bottom