DIN or Yoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoBlue! once bubbled...
What is a whip (i.e., "dry whip" posted above)?
Fill whip.

Which brings to mind one other potential problem with DIN.

Not all boats have DIN whips, however, there is an adapter that allows a DIN tank to be filled from a yoke whip.

Just go DIN.

Basically the din valve is technically superior in several ways, but may not be available wherever you go. It is technically superior because the O-ring is deep inside the threaded well, and cannot physically blow out under the pressures used, while the yoke valve O-ring is less well captured and can blow out if higher than rated pressure (3000 PSI/200 bar) is used in the tank. DIN tanks can therefore be filled with more air in the same volume, as a result (the tanks are designed differently to handle higher pressure too, but that is another story). For instance, a typical 120HP tank is filled to 3500 PSI and requires a DIN valve.

DIN tanks are near universal in Europe, but not so in the Western hemisphere. Particularly in less well developed countries, the yoke type valve is what you will find, unless the dive shop is really technically savvy (and uses DIN tanks with screw-in adapters, thus covering both markets). European divers expect DIN valves, so they can be satisfied by this scheme, while we backward Yanks can use our traditional yoke valves.

Personally I prefer DIN tanks for all the obvious reasons, but I realize I won't be able to find them worldwide and plan for the tanks available in that region. There are valve adapters for converting either way, and that is a dive saver if you get stuck.

well, this is rather intersting. I just finished up my OW dive and remebered seeing something in the PADI dive manual about which was more used. I looked and it says that yokes are more common than DIN except in central Europe...take it for what it is worth. Personally, I will buy din and the adapter and cover my butt.

Yes, you are right. I don't know about Europe, but in all other parts of the world, yoke valves are ubiquitous. You may sometimes be able to find rental tanks with DIN valves, but in most of the world that is highly unlikely.

The majority of dives being conducted around the world are with yoke type attachments, so there can't really be a problem with it. That said, DIN somehow feels more 'satisfying' to me.

I think for overhead environments, DIN is definitely better, as it has a lower profile, and will deal better with the occasional bumping on rock ceilings.

DIN is the way to go. Captured O-Ring is awesome!!!!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom