DIN or Yoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaRon

Contributor
Reaction score
I am going to buy a new reg soon and consider the DIN valve better and more secure. My question is how well the DIN valve is supported at dive centers around the world?
:snorkel:ScubaRon

In Cozumel, DIN is about as common as snow.
Club Med, Columbus Isle, has about 50% convertible Scubapro valves, but all are configured for yoke and you can't bank on being able to grab a DIN tank.

My system is 100% DIN, and I carry a DIN adapter with me.
It would be just as easy to convert the 1st back to yoke before vacation, but I do like the flexibility.

I originally bought my Apeks reg in the yoke version and later converted them to DIN. Lucky for me Apeks are easy to change between yoke and DIN so i can go either way but DIN is my primary use as are my tanks.

Good Morning All,

What a time on a sunday morning - yep you guessed it, I am up early to get the nice dives before all the other dives have swum around and turned the water in to the consistency of pea soup!

Anyway, Now for DIN or Yoke - BasicallY DIN. Most Yoke tanks are convertable on the fly, you simply unscrew the inside of the Yoke (The bit with the O ring) and then you have a DIN tank.

With regards to my reasoning for DIN over Yoke, basically, if you wish to move in to technical diving you will have to convert to a DIN connector as they are considered safer and less likely to be knocked off your cylinder.

However with that said, you need to check the possibility to fill DIN tanks, otherwise you will constantly be modifying the valve just to fill your cylinders.

I hope this helps

Paul

(P.S. I bought a Scubapro X650 and then converted it, so I have both connectors just in case!)

6474286 once bubbled...
Most Yoke tanks are convertable on the fly, you simply unscrew the inside of the Yoke (The bit with the O ring) and then you have a DIN tank.
Rarely in this hemisphere. The convertible valves are really nice, but also quite rare.

In Japan an in most place in Asia a DIN valve or convertiable valve is not to be found. If you like DIN for your personal tanks just get a din to yoke converter for the reg when traveling.

I think DIN is the way to go. You get the full range of options, and can carry around a simple Yoke converter for the times you need that style.

The deciding factor for me was that my Wife uses HP80 tanks which require DIN. (BTW, these are great for women; light and compact) I use LP95's with a DIN fiting. By setting all of our regs up with DIN I have full flexibility if I need to use one of her tanks or Regs. If I decide to move to an HP120 tank, there's no problems.

I don't know if the stat's support this, but my impression is that DIN tends to be more reliable and less prone to O-Ring damage, failure, and blow outs than a Yoke setup.

Dave

davehicks once bubbled...
I don't know if the stat's support this, but my impression is that DIN tends to be more reliable and less prone to O-Ring damage, failure, and blow outs than a Yoke setup.
100% on the money. It's an all-around superior design, with the one potential problem in that it CAN trap water in the valve, so you have to be careful and connect a DRY whip (always a good idea) before you drop the tank in the fill tank... or just don't put the tank in the water for fills. This still creates a possible problem if you have only one tank and are getting fills at the site between dives.
Of course, it goes without saying to make sure that the valve is dry before attaching your reg.

As far as switching to HP120 tanks, all of the new PST E7 and E8 series tanks now have a 3/4" thread and a convertible yoke/DIN attachment (200 bar DIN, only 5 threads instead of 7).

What is a whip (i.e., "dry whip" posted above)?

Jim

Thanks all for the responses. I've decided to go for the DIN version and a separate DIN to Yoke converter. That should cover all my options.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom