Difficult to find a buddy as a female?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orch1ds

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all...

I'm a fairly new diver. I really started this summer and it started out with me diving 2 to 3 times a week for 7 weeks. Now I'm down to no dives in the last 3 weeks. I want to dive. Really I do. But my biggest issue is finding a consistent buddy. I'm one of those females who are into diving because I'm into it. But most of my friends are not interested at all. The only 2 friends who want to dive with me are in Boston and NYC. I'm in Southern California.

I did meet a bunch of people during my OW and AOW and Wreck classes. Most of them were couples so its hard for me to just tag along with them. A couple of them I do try to plan dives, but its just scheduling. I guess I just want to dive a lot more than the average person.

So can you give me some tips on finding a buddy in a safe way. I'm nervous as a woman about meeting random men from the website to go diving somewhere. I'm not even sure why I'm so freaked out. I know the chances of some rapist or murderer is slim to none... but I guess I'm not a totally outgoing person either.

Ok here's my self pity moment. I just want to dive... :depressed:

I've love to hear how you ladies (especially the single ones) got diving buddies...

Thanks!
cmk

SB is a great way to meet buddies. I know it's smart to be weary of meeting people on the Internet, but if you want to meet new buddies, you just have to get over it. Meet in a public place, like a quarry on the weekend or a dive boat/shop. As long as other people are around, you will be safe. I have met lots of divers via SB, and all were just fine. It isn't like you're meeting in a dark alley to go on a night dive, or meeting at the new dive buddy's house.

Also, maybe meet as a group beforehand. Gather some divers from SB and go get coffee or a drink. Meet casually, than plan a dive.

I know, I know, divers want to dive, not get coffee, but its a great ice breaker.

Kind of like a try before you buy scenario.

I often go on dive trips to MX by myself but with a large group from my LDS', so I can hook up with other singles.

Connect with your LDS or club.

Welcome to SB and diving! If you were out this way, I'd say "Let's go!" But, alas...

When short a buddy, I have resorted to jumping on a dive boat and dealing with an insta-buddy. 9 times out of 10, it worked out just fine. The 1 out of 10, he was just a goober with an overinflated ego. I learned a lot on that dive, so it's all good! I've also dived with folks I met on SB and loved them. Go on trips sponsored by your LDS. Ask around if there are any dive clubs in your area and go to the meetings. Before you know it, you'll be having too many buddies and not enough time...always a nice problem!

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

orch1ds,

You could try a dive club like West LA divers, Sea Divers or one of the other clubs listed in the back of California Diving News. Or post on LAdiving.org. Orange County has a similar board, as does San Diego. Also many of the LA area dive shops have clubs (Pacific Wilderness, Dive & Surf). Finally there are sites like Veterans’ Park, in Redondo Beach on Wednesdays or Marineland on Sundays where you can pretty much count on there being a group of divers there.

If you have concerns about meeting totally new people boat diving may be worth considering since at least that is a somewhat controlled environment. It would seem a club dive or larger group dive could address your concern.

Surely you jest? With a subject line like that you are bound to get lots of offers.

One of the best ways to get dive buddies is to join a local dive club whose members are active local divers (as Mr. Carcharodon has suggested). You can also look for the monthly Wrinkles dives posted here on ScubaBoard... lots of great local folks you can buddy up with.

Los Angeles is a big place (as I have learned from my visits there!) but you might consider hooking up with the Beach Crabs club. Rickster, who I think is the leader of the group, posts their dives here on SB. I believe you can come to those dives as a single diver and they will arrange whoever shows up into buddies.

When I was new, I found out my LDS had an e-group, and I posted a notice on that asking for buddies. I actually went diving with a woman who was delightful (sadly, I've never managed to dive with her again). Since then, I've found buddies through classes, and on line (I have yet to have any kind of scary experience meeting someone from SB or any other diving forum for a dive). I think you could talk to someone for a very short time and know if they were really a diver, and if they are, they're most likely interested in diving :)

at least you have lots of clubs (and good diving) to choose from. I get to go jump in a lake:D really, I have the same problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom