Difficult to find a buddy as a female?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a new diver in LA as well....I learned to dive with my husband, so if you don't feel comfortable diving with a couple, I understand....but otherwise, I'd be more than happy to go diving with you.

You should also check out the socal subforum, and specifically the Beach Crabs as they are a very active diving group (not a club, just a group of people who enjoy diving). There's also the South Coast Divers, who are based out of Laguna if that's closer to you....they dive every weekend, and do the occasional night dive during the week.

I'm not sure where you are located, but there's also a meet-up group that's pretty active as well (scheduling boat trips, dive meetings, classes, etc).

Hope I was of some help....and maybe we'll go diving one day! :D

Yeah, I wanna know too! :)
:no:Silly man!!

I met several dive buddies on SB and then dove with them. (Even Randy...:wink: )
One of the liked so much I kept him.:D :)tongue:....NOT Randy!)

I have met good buddies on SB. Your best bet is to meet and dive somewhere public. I made the mistake *once* of meeting an insta-buddy in a quiet out-of-the-way location and I won't do that again (everything turned out ok, it was just a stupid idea). Your first dive with a new buddy should be shallow, like 40 or 50 ft max depth, and in a site you are familiar with. I usually choose to be the dive leader with a new buddy and I keep a close eye on them to see if they need help.

I met my regular buddy doing a drift class. So whilst the class was practically useless I did find someone who is as keen as me and willing to go diving every weekend! So my cash for the course was not entirely wasted :wink:

I have also met a few other semi-regular buddies via the internet (my local forums not here though) as well as diving clubs. And I will be having a dive with some people I have met in the forums here in a few months when I travel interstate so that is pretty cool! :)To be honest, the net is probably the best way if you don't have any local clubs to join. I once was buddyless on the weekend and posted asking for a buddy, tonnes of replies both from people who wanted to dive with me and also if they weren't free, inviting me to join them in the future. I know heaps of people who have met their buddies that way. And as far as the safety aspect, go somewhere public to meet them if that is an issue, though I have met many people off the net (mainly for LAN days not diving though :)) and never had a safety issue. I do find that with people off the net, you can get a good idea of what kind of attitudes towards diving that they have by reading some of their old posts!

Well, if you come up north, just "don't dive with Fred" :)

There are times when you need to work at it. Peoples interests and other commitments come and go. Additionally you will meet plenty of folks that love to tell you they are divers but they never bother to dive.

Hi there,

I live in SF but have been diving in SE Asia for the past few years. Don't have any local partners yet and would love to come down some weekend to LA.

Have never seen the kelp beds. Am a graduate student so time is tight but plan a 3 week solo trip to honduras over christmas and should have a weekend on either side of thanksgiving open.

Would love to find a/some women partners.

Kathy

I would also recommend that you hit up your married friends for some 'girls dive out'. I know some marrieds that are happy to get away for a day of girly diving. Diving with one this weekend as it happens - we're going to work on our navigation because we are both shaky at it and it keeps us from just following her hubby's fins because, of course, he never gets lost :)

Hi there,

I live in SF but have been diving in SE Asia for the past few years. Don't have any local partners yet and would love to come down some weekend to LA.

Have never seen the kelp beds. Am a graduate student so time is tight but plan a 3 week solo trip to honduras over christmas and should have a weekend on either side of thanksgiving open.

Would love to find a/some women partners.

Kathy

You can also join us, North Coast Divers, for dives on the Sonoma and Mendocino coast, just north of you. We're friendly and have divers from just certified newbies through very experienced instructors. No dues. No meetings. No officers.

We dive at least once a month and you can meet folks to dive with at other times, too.

The North Coast Divers - Index

Oh. I we've got LOTS of kelp!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom