Difficult to find a buddy as a female?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey come have some fun with us!! We will have a club dive on Saturday, October 11th! Plan to meet at the north end of Heisler Park at 7:45am. We will check conditions and decide on the site from there.

Or you & a friend are always welcome to come to our monthly club meeting this October 15 at the Newport Beach Tennis Club at 7:00PM. This month our speaker is Andy Sallmon on Shark Diving!!

Visit the Laguna Sea Dwellers on the Web

I have faced same problem when i have started. But it is great to contact club . I have contacted club and finally found buddy .

Clubs are a great resource. Clubs offer variety. As an example, I'm an experienced diver but married to a non-diving woman. Through our club (Vero Beach Scuba Club) there are several ladies that I'll dive with. Some are younger woman, some older, one is married to a diver but he does not dive as much as some of us. One benefit is that I guess I'm safe. I'm not looking for any "action"...i'm a solid diver and i also know all the good local dive spots. And I'm also just as happy on a shallow 20 foot shore dive as I am on a deep 100 foot ledge or a deep wreck or deco dive.

I wonder if she still has a hard time finding buddies after FIVE years?

I hope not!

Although I am glad someone brought this thread back up because I am facing a similar problem and I would like to read some more ideas and suggestions. I found a couple of potential buddies online--but nothing solid. Mostly what I've been finding is men who aren't certified asking me how to get into diving (or thinking I can someone teach them... which I can't. I'm no instructor).

I found a dive club in my area... two to be exact. But one meets on Tuesday nights and I can't make it because of my work schedule. The other meets quarterly--I've made it to their meetings. But quarterly isn't much to form friendships. I am hoping to just show up on boats and finding people that way. But it has lead me to not sign up for more expensive dives. There is one that I want to go on that's both tech and recreational and boat space is limited. Without a buddy, I don't want to sign up for it because, what if all the other divers on the boat are tech? Where does that leave me?

Anyway, I hope more people chime in with ideas.

I am in a similar position. I have joined a local dive club but get "where is your husband? Doesn't he dive?" Well no he does not and I am not looking to meet a man or steal someone else's either. I just want to dive. I wonder how many men have to deal with that? Probably none!

I did find another dive shop a bit further away that has a meetup and dives every weekend. I emailed the leader and he said to just let him know I am coming and they would dive with me. He made it clear that many women just want to dive and are welcome to join them. I just (Sunday) got certified. I am hoping to go diving with them soon. Being brand spanking new was a concern of mine also. Who wants to dive with a just certified diver. Check out Meetup.com and see if there are any scuba meetups in your area.

I also signed up for another class at the further away dive shop in hopes to make some friends in the class. I was a solo student, because no one else signed up, in the Open Water class. Having private instructions was nice but not conductive to meeting people to dive with.

I wonder if she still has a hard time finding buddies after FIVE years?

Don't know, but that sure was a fun stroll down memory lane. This place is so huge you sometimes don't realize who you haven't heard from in a while till you see their name brought up in these older threads ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Reactions: Jax
I am in a similar position. I have joined a local dive club but get "where is your husband? Doesn't he dive?" Well no he does not and I am not looking to meet a man or steal someone else's either. I just want to dive. I wonder how many men have to deal with that? Probably none!

Not sure what part of PA you're in, but there is a small group that hit Dutch Springs in Bethlehem - you can find them in the specific area forums - the Northeast-PA etal and the SouthEast-Mid Atlantic folks. Just shoot out a ping for a buddy. I'm in MD but dive with folks from Upper PA that I met here on SB. Dutch is a nice place.

FWIW: I've found all my dive buddies lately---male and female---via the local SB section (Norcal). I've met a lot of interesting people---experienced divers, newly certified, straight, gay, young and old. So far everyone has been nice and focused on the diving.

So take a chance and try answering a SB buddy needed thread, or start one of your own...some of us are gentlemen. (Even if we have silly treads in the singles section.)

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom