Did we find the bottom ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FIXXERVI6:
I don't want to be the one comming accross the the ***** here but I sure hope this is a joke, everything in here has the stench of a trust me dive for starters.

Question, what is a "tec air fill" ?

I don't see anything in here that indicates extra care to ensure a safety net, if you are stating you would take care of both of you, not only is this a trust me dive, this was not a team dive, if you had a catastrophic failure would the AL80 and the 19Cft got you BOTH back to the surface safely with stops? Did you pad "your computer readouts" to account for temperature and exposure protection? you do know that being cold effects offgassing right?

How exactly would 19 cft pony have done you any good at 166 feet of depth? Did you do the math, is 19 cft enough to get a diver through deco and safely to the surface with proper safety factor? What would have happened in a buddy seperation? Now if you say oh I'm a good enough buddy that won't happen, thats one factor that you didn't count into your "safety net" that can and does happen espeically in low visibility lakes, if the $h1t hits the fan you better be able to take care of the situation yourself when your pulling a dive off in those conditions, the "reserve" being a little pony carried around by your buddy is not a safety net.

Do you consider a single AL80 with a buddy carrying a 19 Cft pony for "reserve" to be a safe practice when diving deep air?

Alan did you ignore your training when you did this dive? I would assume a properly trained "trimix tec diver" would know better than pulling a stunt like this.

Was everyone diving two computers? Was anyone carrying a precut backup deco schedule just in case? Did you actually sit down and calculate gas volumes for the dive? (answer to that is no, or if you planned it to come back at 150 then you might as well play russian roulette on your SIT).

Was there any oxygen anywhere in case of an emergency? If not what would you have done in the event of someone showing symptoms of DCS after the dive? What if you woudl have gotten tangled on the bottom and spent an extra 10 minutes at 166 feet to get free before surfacing, go ahead and run the numbers and see what an additional 10 minutes at 166 on air does to your deco schedule, did you put in proper gas reservers to account for said ermergencies?

Guys "tec" diving is about using the proper tools and procedures to pull a dive off and minimize the risks to dive again another day, anyone can buy an H, a "wreck light" and a pony and hit the water and go to depth, only proper gear and planning will minimize risk.

Now I know what your thinking here is that know it all jerk mouthing off again, if you feel that way so be it but if you drop the ego and really think about what I've put up here maybe you'll think twice before just jumping into a dive like that again, if I didn't care I'd just read the posts sit back and go "idiots" but I've met you guys, I don't want to pick up the paper one day and read about a body recovery.

If you want to dive deep air, go for it, but minimize the risk, proper gear and propper planning guys.

Alan who was your instructor for Trimix? I'm curious if he just didn't teach you or you just ignored the training.

You can ignore me or fire back or whatever, or you can do what I would prefer and why I posted and go wow man I never thought about that, or that, or your right about this, ah, now I realize what I just did, thanks for the post.

Or I can be the TSD ***** I really don't care, but at least I tried, but i post this with no anger, only concern for my fellow diver, dive safe guys, please.
OH PLEASE! These guys were on a drop to the bottom to see where it was. Im sure they were quite capable of doing a OOA even if they were into deco.Its far from impossible and easily done without death.I dont calculate every jump on my bike or every corner in my car.

BRANDY:
OH PLEASE! These guys were on a drop to the bottom to see where it was. Im sure they were quite capable of doing a OOA even if they were into deco.Its far from impossible and easily done without death.I dont calculate every jump on my bike or every corner in my car.

OH yes your so right, where is my head, 166 feet on a single aluminum 80 with no redundant gas supply isn't dangerous at all, I mean especially with a 19 cubic foot reserve, nothing to worry about at all, I mean heck the one dive he even made it back with 150 PSI with no emergency, thats PLENTY!! Well after all he was with a dive master too so thats instant safe, just to see the bottom, yea, no big deal perfectly safe.

People with doubles have died due to problems on the bottom causing them to stay too long, people on single aluminum 80's have been recovered from depth right here in our own back yard lake Travis, but this was different, a dive master and the fact they just wanted to drop to the bottom to see where it was makes this a "light core tec dive" therefore prefectly safe.

Sorry everyone I was wrong to post that this was a bad idea to dive this, it looks like I'm just overly cautious.

Interesting conversation isn't it?
Many different thoughts... I like it keep it coming.

What we did find out without a doubt is that there is some deep stuff up there at Broken Bow that I don't think anybody knew about.

Future exploration... You bet ! Different dive plans ? Oh yes.
Is it going to be cool ?? No Doubt !

Timeliner:
Future exploration... You bet ! Different dive plans ? Oh yes.

Cool, if your wanting to do those kinds of dives I highly suggest you start looking into doubles, a set of AL 80's can be assembled fairly cheap, they are light and work well for anything around here.

FIXXERVI6:
Cool, if your wanting to do those kinds of dives I highly suggest you start looking into doubles, a set of AL 80's can be assembled fairly cheap, they are light and work well for anything around here.

Not a bad idea at all Rick... I like it a lot !
Now... if I can just get PETA to give me a break on using a donkey to haul them that 1/8 mile down to the lake then I'll be set :D

Pack animal or not the extra air be it in a double or a large single is without a doubt a part of a proper plan.

I bet you'd like diving in that spot. It seems like your kind of place :wink:

Soggy:
Hey, Timeliner....

Do you have decompression training?

Select one: YES NO

I've been Married Twice and still seem to be able to come up for air.
does that count ? :huh:

Timeliner:
I've been Married Twice and still seem to be able to come up for air.
does that count ? :huh:

From this, your profile, your horrific lack of preparation, I will infer that you do not have the training do the dives you are doing. Best of luck to you. I hope you don't have any children depending on you.

I am glad to see all the DIR trollers from out of state stopping in to stir things up. Oh and HI FRANK, we gotta dive again sometime soonish! Glad you had fun and lived...I sped on my way home tonight....LIFE ON THE EDGE BABY!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom