Did we find the bottom ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Frank,

I didn’t hear ya honkin’ Saturday (musta been in the back of the house…that little building with the half-moon thing on the door) but the wife did. She didn’t know what the deal was even though I’ve told her y’all do that.

Y’all ran off before she could get the shotgun out to run off the varmints that were causin’ a commotion.

Good thing y’all did just a stop-and-drive on that one. :D

Did ya notice that there are horses here now instead of cattle?

And NO, you can’t use them as pack mules for you gear. If I ever notice they are missing I’ll know exactly where to look.

Y’all did 166 feet on air with you having an AL80? I’ll bet you had a beer keg full of air that you ain’t tellin’ about. (Us Texicans are good at improvising)

Or maybe it wasn’t full of “air.”

Come on down the driveway next time and stop by instead of just makin’ noise on the road…only take a couple of minutes to stop in and say “Hi.” Wife hasn’t met Alan yet.

Will give us a closer shot also. :D Or will give the wife the idea to know who not to shoot at.

On a different note concerning the tunnel progress….

Did have some trouble on Tunnel 3 this week; the rain we had Wednesday flooded the tunnel and I had to don dive gear to get to it and do some work.

Talk about Mud Diving!!! That stuff is heavy trying to shovel it out while underwater.

Ahh Lamont....those dives you reference involved divers using tanks that hold a mere 80 rest-of-the-world CF. These guys we are chatting with are diving tanks that hold 80 Texas CF. They could dive to the bottom of the ocean on them bottles.

:shakehead

Timeliner:
in no time at all we were still going down the slope at 166 feet.:11: ... Neither one of us got Narc’ed really that we know ...

Note to possible new divers reading this thread: The above demonstrates how even experienced divers can be easily deceived by the effects of narcosis. There was a time when divers made these kind of deep air dives. But today, even divers like Chatterton and Kohler (mentioned earlier in the thread) wouldn't make a cold water dive to over 160' on air (even with doubles, stages, proper gas planning and the works).

Thanks for sharing your story, guys. A good lesson for all.

*** MODERATOR POST ***

Let's concentrate on constructive criticism and leave the snide remarks out. Thank you.

*** MODERATOR POST ***

gangrel441:
Ahh Lamont....those dives you reference involved divers using tanks that hold a mere 80 rest-of-the-world CF. These guys we are chatting with are diving tanks that hold 80 Texas CF. They could dive to the bottom of the ocean on them bottles.

:shakehead

I was born in Alaska. Our CF are over the twice the size of Texas CF.

And Texans had better play nice or Alaska will split the state in two and they'll only be the third largest state.

Rick Inman:
Note to possible new divers reading this thread: The above demonstrates how even experienced divers can be easily deceived by the effects of narcosis. There was a time when divers made these kind of deep air dives. But today, even divers like Chatterton and Kohler (mentioned earlier in the thread) wouldn't make a cold water dive to over 160' on air (even with doubles, stages, proper gas planning and the works).

Thanks for sharing your story, guys. A good lesson for all.

Not entirely true...PSA does still teach tec classes using air to 220. Advisable? Not in my opinion, but at least they are bringing an appropriate supply of the gas in question when they do. The narc issue is the smaller of the two in play here. The bigger issue is taking a single AL80 to 130 and beyond. I have been to 135 on an AL80 (Blue Hole, Belize), and brought it back with adequate reserve, but I don't care to repeat that feat ever again. To bring an AL80 to 160 ft and bring it back with 150 PSI? :shakehead

Frank, Alan? The deco obligation you talked about on this dive? Was that a planned deco stop, or were you just following the emergency deco on a recreational dive computer?

lamont:
I was born in Alaska. Our CF are over the twice the size of Texas CF.

And Texans had better play nice or Alaska will split the state in two and they'll only be the third largest state.

LOL Last I checked, your CF up there are about the size of a CF from 1/3 of each other state combined. But from what I understand, you still don't dive 'em that way....

Rick Inman:
<snip> But today, even divers like Chatterton and Kohler (mentioned earlier in the thread) wouldn't make a cold water dive to over 160' on air (even with doubles, stages, proper gas planning and the works).

That's right. They would both be using their rebreathers. :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom