Did we find the bottom ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Timeliner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Did we find the bottom at Lake Broken Bow, Oklahoma today? No.. there is a 180 foot spot out there I hear but we did find a couple of spots that don’t show up on the topographic map of the bottom. So we almost did !:14:
Texdiveguy and his son Jeff stayed here in Paris last night and we got up to the lake around 10:00 a.m.
On the way it has become a tradition to stop off in front of Sealskin98’s place and raise Cain , honk our horns and wave the dive flag. This time was no different and we escaped without getting shot at .
We hit the water at the overlook on the South side of the lake between the spillway and the dam.
We have been there before and every time it’s a different story. Vis. was pretty good and by the time our lights came on it was real good. Alan says maybe 20 feet. We just dropped down the wall and then as the slope tapered off we kept going. 47 degree temp. and pitch black. It was a smooth drop and before we knew it we hit 100 feet… 125 feet… and shoot in no time at all we were still going down the slope at 166 feet.:11:
The topographic map doesn’t show that kind of depth there from what I can tell and the lake is down so we must have found a trench. ‘Really cool too !
Neither one of us got Narc’ed really that we know of and it was a smooth down and back breathing good ole' Paris Fire Dept. Air. :wink:
On the way up we went through some nice big old trees and past some pretty cliffs.

On our second dive we took a different direction at the same entry point and after hitting some stirred up conditions dropped down to about 85 feet and found some clear water. We followed an old ravine that was steep sided and had just enough width for both of us to fin along side by side. It was spooky and strange and quite a lot of fun. At 139 feet we were both in Deco and began our ascent. Being that we were in a ravine the way up and out was to follow a steep slope and through a thicket of trees . It was crazy. We were actually climbing the trees overhanging the ravine and squeezing through the branches. That slowed us down a heck of a lot but it was pretty fun. We're just a couple of old Coon Hounds. I love the trees !
We had at least 8 minutes of Deco to do and along the way we also made other stops to off gas a bit.
I was doing the math when we hit 100 feet and it looked like the gas supply was going to be a bit close.
We left the tree tops to the dark and deep water and ascended up without a reference line or the bottom as a guide. We had followed that ravine pretty far off shore it seemed . We pushed South towards the shore line on the way up but never caught sight of the bottom again.
We hit all of the stops and. We popped up as we went in… the only folks on the lake. My gauge read 150 psi. left so I guess I got all the good out of that tank I’m still cold as I write this story but it was a heck of a pretty day and some wild Christmas Time Diving

soudan:
great report TimeLiner sounds like y'all had some fun.

i got one question though, what were y'all diving??(how many tanks and their sizes, and %)

I dive country style with just a single AL80 tank and a wet suit.
Alan is a city kid and has a drysuit and a steel 130

We're The Odd Couple :rofl3:

I changed tanks for the 2nd dive/ he just finished his off

Both dives were around 35 minutes. Both of Us were using plain old air.

Crap Frank! I just did some quick math. 1.4atm P.P. O2 is at 187 ft. and 1.6atm P.P. O2 is at 218 ft. You start pushing some limits there and risking Oxygen Toxicity; not to mention the gas supply situation for hitting your deco obligations. Interesting story though. I am glad you guys had fun and I am sorry I couldn't make the trip. I just had too much crap to do around here.

I had to argue with my mom's apartment complex manager. Seems they think her rent wasn't paid for December. I have a cancelled check that says different.
Message to Soudan, Frank would have been diving standard air, 21% O2, Al 80 single tank. 'DiveGuy has a more elaborate set up with doubles. I believe they are both steel 120 cu.ft. 'DiveGuy was probably diving std. air but you can never tell with that guy.

Oh! There's your response straight from the horse's mouth! Hi Frank!

WOW, you dove with a wet suite down to 166' in this weather, i solute you for withstanding that cold, i did it once last year in December in lake travis, but i was wearing a 3mm with a 5mm hooded vest underneath and i only went to 80', ohh every time i thing of that weekend i get cold again!!

Frank, what are the GPS coord's (if you have them) of the entry points? The time we dove at Broken Bow, we could see the dam to our right hand side - if standing on shore looking at the water - and there was a small parking lot with cement steps down a ways, then just hiking down the slope to the water....we hit the bottom around 80 ft where it seemed to level out, but didn't go towards the middle of the lake much on that dive. Boy we sure need to head down there, for sure it sounds like the best diving in Okla!

Chris

What a fantastic 2 day trek to Paris and beyond......I would like to thank Frank again for being a super host to my son and I Fri. evening,,,treating us to a great steak and chicken grilled dinner,,,,,free run of his 3 level 1917 home (museum my son says)and a fun strole thru the Christmas lite city park just across the street from his home---what a fun time!!!

The diving today could hardly of turned out better. Franks dive report tells pretty much the story. I took extra care to follow both our progresses on the 2 dives to ensure a safety net. Deep-dark-chilly and loads of fun! :)

Just as a foot note....I was wearing my toasty drysuit and using my st. HP130/with H valve a tec air fill......in addition I slung my 50 watt wreck canaster light and a full 19ct. pony bottle as a reserve for us.

PS--Also I got a first hand progress tour of the Paris Tunnels on arrival Fri.......things are going on schd. with a bit of a problem disposing of some of the removed dirt.....having my son with me we did stay on the dryside .... though muddy feet--lol,,,I hope to do a bit of moleing myself on one section prior to the holiday ending.

Timeliner:
We have been there before and every time it’s a different story. Vis. was pretty good and by the time our lights came on it was real good. Alan says maybe 20 feet. We just dropped down the wall and then as the slope tapered off we kept going. 47 degree temp. and pitch black. It was a smooth drop and before we knew it we hit 100 feet… 125 feet… and shoot in no time at all we were still going down the slope at 166 feet.:11:
The topographic map doesn’t show that kind of depth there from what I can tell and the lake is down so we must have found a trench. ‘Really cool too !
Neither one of us got Narc’ed really that we know of and it was a smooth down and back breathing good ole' Paris Fire Dept. Air. :wink:
On the way up we went through some nice big old trees and past some pretty cliffs.

On our second dive we took a different direction at the same entry point and after hitting some stirred up conditions dropped down to about 85 feet and found some clear water. We followed an old ravine that was steep sided and had just enough width for both of us to fin along side by side. It was spooky and strange and quite a lot of fun. At 139 feet we were both in Deco and began our ascent. Being that we were in a ravine the way up and out was to follow a steep slope and through a thicket of trees . It was crazy. We were actually climbing the trees overhanging the ravine and squeezing through the branches. That slowed us down a heck of a lot but it was pretty fun. We're just a couple of old Coon Hounds. I love the trees !
We had at least 8 minutes of Deco to do and along the way we also made other stops to off gas a bit.
I was doing the math when we hit 100 feet and it looked like the gas supply was going to be a bit close.
We left the tree tops to the dark and deep water and ascended up without a reference line or the bottom as a guide. We had followed that ravine pretty far off shore it seemed . We pushed South towards the shore line on the way up but never caught sight of the bottom again.
We hit all of the stops and. We popped up as we went in… the only folks on the lake. My gauge read 150 psi. left so I guess I got all the good out of that tank I’m still cold as I write this story but it was a heck of a pretty day and some wild Christmas Time Diving

Dive Planning is an unnatural process; it is much more fun just to go diving .
The nicest thing about not "Dive planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise rather than being proceeded by a period of worry and depression"

John Harvey-Jones

Oh yea...... just as a bit of interest to those wondering.....at 166ffw we had hit the riverbed sand and shale....material was very course and of contrasting color,,,,with my light I could see the terrian was fairly level around us.....I stirred a bit up with my fins and it would settle down faster , unlike typical silt. On both dives we saw no fish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom