Did I Ruin My Reg?! >.<

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gr8WyattWhale

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So the other night after a salt water dive I was rinsing all my gear in fresh water...as we all do. I put the dust cap on my first stage and submerged the whole delivery/info system to soak for about 20 minutes. (Atomic T3 first and second stage, Aqualung ABS octo, Atomic Cobalt 2 computer) yes I made sure not to press any purge buttons on regs

Today I was reading a forum post by someone who mentioned they soak their reg pressurized. If I soaked my regs not on a tank did I just put a bunch of water in my fancy shmancy gear?

Not likely, I have soaked my regs that way a bunch of times & never had a problem.
Not the best way to do it though.

The Atomics need to be pressurized if you are going to soak them. That said, it's all fresh water and there shouldn't be any issues. Maybe hook up the reg to a tank, press the purge button and give it a good blow out for a few minutes.

Ruin? No. Get water in the first stage? Likely. Did you buy a T3 because water doesn't damage them? Yes. That's why you spent all of the money.

The second stage has a "seat saver" feature that lifts the seat off of the orifice when unpressurized. I have mixed feelings about this, but that's neither here nor there. Short answer is when you rinse your T3, rinse it pressurized.

So the other night after a salt water dive I was rinsing all my gear in fresh water...as we all do. I put the dust cap on my first stage and submerged the whole delivery/info system to soak for about 20 minutes. (Atomic T3 first and second stage, Aqualung ABS octo, Atomic Cobalt 2 computer) yes I made sure not to press any purge buttons on regs

Today I was reading a forum post by someone who mentioned they soak their reg pressurized. If I soaked my regs not on a tank did I just put a bunch of water in my fancy shmancy gear?

I suspect the vast majority of divers soak their regs just as you did: dust cap on but not pressurized. The "soak your reg pressurized" advice is what you might call "best practice," but in reality most divers do not own their own tanks. I would be willing to bet that most divers come back from a vacation and dump their regs in a tub of water just as you did. It's what I recall being taught to do by my instructor. If soaking while pressurized were REQUIRED, we would see a whole lot of ruined regs out there.

edit: This is generic advice. I don't know Atomics specifically. From others' replies, it sounds like they may be more finicky that most.

Hmm thanks good to know...the titanium construction was definitely a big selling point.
I was just rinsing in my bathtub and I don't own my own cylinder...I guess maybe just the hose in the backyard with the rental cylinder would be sufficient?

I don't remember reading anything in the included literature about needing to soak pressurized...I should check the manual again. You'd think they would make sure the consumer knew about the seat saver and needing to be pressurized.
It's probably just my fault for not paying enough attention at the LDS when I purchased it...I got it during 50% off sale (still expensive)....and it was so shiny....o.0 lol

Soak everything with the 2nd out of the water. Just flush it.

BTW, If you DO hook it up to blow the water out of it, take the HP hose off. The SPG is a dead end and you don't want to blow water into it. It's good to hook something up to the LP hoses so you can flush those also but it's not critical as a tiny bit of fresh water being flushed into your BC or even drysuit is not a big deal.

Soak everything with the 2nd out of the water. Just flush it.

BTW, If you DO hook it up to blow the water out of it, take the HP hose off. The SPG is a dead end and you don't want to blow water into it. It's good to hook something up to the LP hoses so you can flush those also but it's not critical as a tiny bit of fresh water being flushed into your BC or even drysuit is not a big deal.
It would be almost impossible for the water to travel through the low pressure side of the reg and into the high pressure side.

Yes, they are shiny, aren't they? I have 10 of them. I can't help myself. In the future, you are welcome to soak the first stage as long as you want. Leave the second stage out of the rinse tank. Then, when the first stage is all wrinkly and pruney, hold it up and vigorously rinse the second stage. As long as the first stage is higher, I promise water will not flow uphill.

Just don't throw it in the rinse tank and come back days later.

I never ever rinse mine.

From your manual, page 28

POST DIVE CARE

A simple fresh water rinse after every dive to clean the regulator of salt, sand or dirt is all that is required. Do not rinse or soak the regulator in solutions containing bleach as this can permanently damage the silicone rubber components. Dry or blow off any water in the first stage dust cap and fit it in place. Rinse through the ambient ports of the first stage (unless fitted with an anti-freeze kit) and through the mouthpiece
of the second stage. Rinsing is particularly important with the chrome plated brass first stages (M1, B2, Z2/Z3) to maintain it in top condition and keep the chrome looking attractive. Avoid soaking the regulator unpressurized, as water may enter the second stage and first stage mechanism. If the second stage is purged when it is rinsed or soaked, it is a good idea to re-connect the regulator to a tank and blow out any water that may have entered the first or second stage.

Store the regulator away from direct sunlight to prevent fading and deterioration of the rubber and plastic parts. Keep away from excessive heat, humidity or insects.

--

I have an Atomic ST1 that I just impulse bought (oops)...I just rinse the 2nd stage off while connected & pressurized and never soak it. My 1st stage is sealed (filled with Christolube).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom