deploying SMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will add that, though animatedknots.com is a great learning tool, have a three foot chunk of light line in your hands while you're watching the knots being tied and tie along. Also, keep the line with you to practice with. I did this after I bought my boat to become skilled at knot tying.

Dave

I think you all have me confused on how you're doing it... Are you using the double ender for anything except clipping off when not in use?

Also, as opposed to tying a half hitch, why not just put the double ender (which is attached to the line) through the loop on the SMB and then clip it to the line...

I'm new to cold water diving and curious, not being a jerk!

elmo6s:
I think you all have me confused on how you're doing it... Are you using the double ender for anything except clipping off when not in use?

Also, as opposed to tying a half hitch, why not just put the double ender (which is attached to the line) through the loop on the SMB and then clip it to the line...

I'm new to cold water diving and curious, not being a jerk!
I just use the double ender for clipping the SMB / Finger Spool Combo to my harness. I just hold the spool in my hands once I've deployed the SMB.

Maybe some photos could help

spool_%20001%20(Small).jpg

Note the loop in the end of the line. There are a few knots you can do for this. Do NOT use a slip not - it wants to be a fixed size.

spool_%20002%20(Small).jpg

Pass the spool through the SMB webbing and bring it back through this loop to attach it to the bag

spool_%20003%20(Small).jpg

This is the "locked off" position to stop it winding in. With the line through the bolt snap and that same end of bolt snap through the spool it cant unwind if you let it go.

To wind in, clip the line through one end of the bolt snap, hold the spool in one hand and use the snap as a makeshift winder to pull the line and wrap around the spool.

There's a youtube video showing its use here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3puq1JMAdg
(Ignore the other hit it turns up "advanced diving skills" - they're laughably poor. Truely awfu:wink:

That should help with the spool, the other alternative is to get a nice ratchet reel. Lovely for reeling in from 30-40m depth with thick gloves and cold hands :)

Try this...

Tie a bowline at the end of the line from your spool. As Lynne said... make the loop plenty big so that you easily can pass the spool through this loop later on. (The loop should be three or four times the diameter of your spool.)

Here's a bowline...
http://www.animatedknots.com/bowlin...ge=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

At the end of that loop, tie a simple overhand knot to from a small thumb-size loop. This is called a Snoopy Loop. Lynne has described this above.

If you go to this folder you can see pics of each step...
http://ashdesigns.us/stephen/Diving/SMB/

Putting it all together looks something like this...
Jasper_1.jpg

Looks like I was a little slow... nice pics String.

Stephen Ash:
At the end of that loop, tie a simple overhand knot to from a small thumb-size loop. This is called a Snoopy Loop. Lynne has described this above.
I do believe that is actually referred to as a woody or jasper loop.

A snoopy loop is made from inner tube.

Jason B:

A snoopy loop is made from inner tube.

You're right. I'm familiar with all three terms but I've been using 'Snoopy' for a LONG time.... I just like saying it!

Jason B:

That's the term I'm familiar with.

BTW, I rig mine just like Lynne described.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom